Monday, May 3, 2010

Signs

"Sign, Sign, Everywhere a sign, blocking out the scenery breaking my mind,
do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?"
Signs, Five Man Electrical Band, 1971

As a Christian, I tend to look for signs (from God) everywhere. Having a real and relevant heavenly Father means that I believe nothing happens by coincidence. Yet do I sometimes put too much credence into "signs?" For instance, when I lost the Bible study book I was thinking of doing for my study group was that a sign from God to select another book? Or simply a sign of my lack of organization?

In the book of Judges, there is a man named Gideon. The Lord sent Gideon out to save Israel. Gideon was afraid, so he asked God for a sign. Not only does Gideon ask for one sign, but he then asks for confirmation of that with another sign. God provided Gideon all the signs he needed.

However, in the New Testament Jesus says, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign!" when the Pharisees were trying to test in Matthew 12. Is it wrong to look for a sign?

I believe the difference is Gideon looked for a sign in faith. He wanted to make sure his step in faith was the correct step in following God. (And yes, I think he was a bit scared too). The Pharisees on the other hand, we not asking for signs because of their faith, but their lack of faith. They were hoping to prove that Jesus was not the Son of God.

We also have to be careful to test our signs. Jesus goes on in Matthew 24 saying, "For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible."

There are signs, signs, everywhere signs. We just need to make sure we're reading them the right way.


Musical Musings:
1. What happenings in your life do you need to seek answers about from God?
2. What are some ways you can judge whether something is a sign from God?
3. Prayerfully ask God to show you the way.

Karaoke: Dear Lord, sometimes I’m confused as to what to do in my life. Thank you for providing answers in the Bible. Thank you that I can pray to you for direction. Help me follow the right signs. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Rock On: Read the story of Gideon found in Judges 6 and 7.

Signs Song:


Chatty Kelly

11 comments:

Diane said...

Signs are great, but trusting is better. Have a great week!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Great insight, Kelly. I remember this song and love your application. Reminds me why I lurve you.

Melanie said...

Good teaching here!

Yolanda said...

I still like this song, and my sweet friend here at home has a great study that she has done and shared with several of us, about watching the signs as "We've Not Passed This Way Before".

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Runner Mom said...

Hmmm...I asked God to show me His will just minutes ago!! Then, I read your post! I hope that I'm like Gideon, trying to strengthen my faith in my asking! Loved this post, sweet friend!
Hugs!
Susan

Andrea said...

Great analogy. It is always best to measure our interpretation with GOD and HIS word.
Hugs,
andrea

Beth in NC said...

Great post Kelly. I think I put fleece out sometimes myself. I love how gracious God is to give us confirmation so many times.

Blessings!
Beth

KrippledWarrior said...

That's my anthem.
And this is an excellent lesson.
Thank you!

My ADHD Me said...

I LOVE this!
Many times I wonder if something is a sign or just an occurance.
I absolutely love the way you can take ANYTHING and find God in it.

You should write a book! :)

Beverlydru said...

When we're on a familiar road, we no longer even see the signs. We don't need them since we know the road, we know the rules. I believe God will give us signs that make us wonder and seek Him when He is taking us on a new road and our eyes are fixed on Him.

sanjeet said...

Great insight, Kelly
indian classified site