Monday, April 5, 2010

Adjustments*

It stars out with a back ache. Next thing you know it's a pain in the neck. Finally it's a full fledged headache that Advil won't touch. Now there's no doubt about it. I need to see the chiropractor. My back's out of whack!

At the chiropractor's office he applies a little pressure here, a minor adjustment there and CRACK! I'm a new woman. But chiropractic care is a strange thing. I need to keep going even when I feel okay. By continuing to go in and get adjusted, my back stays in line - no headaches! But if I don't go in, things start moving, little by little - until here I go again! My back's out of whack!

My Christian life is just like that. It starts out with getting out of the habit of reading the Bible. Next thing you know you're not praying. Finally you're faced with full fledged sin and even Aleve won't alleviate it! I need to see the Holy Spirit. My spiritual life is out of whack!

Just like the chiropractor, the Holy Spirit also applies pressure in my life. The pressure for me to make my own minor adjustments...to my schedule to allow more time for bible reading, to my priorities, to make sure I'm putting prayer before other things. Suddenly - I'm a new woman!

But just like chiropractic care, I need to continue with it. If I don't, things start moving, little by little until - here I go again! My spiritual life is out of whack!

Take a look at your spiritual posture today - it is out of whack? If so, visit the great physician and see if you can make some adjustments in your life to get BACK to God.

Psalm 119:169-176 --
May my cry come before you, O LORD; give me understanding according to your word.
May my supplication come before you; deliver me according to your promise.
May my lips overflow with praise, for you teach me your decrees.
May my tongue sing of your word, for all your commands are righteous.
May your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts.
I long for your salvation, O LORD, and your law is my delight.
Let me live that I may praise you, and may your laws sustain me.
I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands.


**This post originally ran in 2008, and is running as a repeat as I take this week off to enjoy Spring Break with my family.**


Chatty Kelly

14 comments:

Sharon Sloan - Joy In The Truth said...

Enjoy your week off with your family! :) The weather has been gorgeous here in PA! :)

My "adjustment" have everything to do with my "abiding". And yes, sometimes in His love, He has to put the squeeze on us to gently bring us back.

Hugs,
Sharon

Andrea said...

AMEN...I am praising GOD for the HOLY SPIRIT...who does a mighty work in the depths of my being!
Hugs, love, and prayers,
andrea

Leslie said...

I just HAD to read this post when I saw it because I'll be going to the chiropractor this morning for the first time ever! We're hoping it will help my inner ear and balance issues. I also have problems with my lower back sometimes and get a lot of headaches, so if those get fixed in the process - BONUS!!

I love how you connected this to our spiritual life. He is the ultimate Healer!

Love & Hugs, Leslie

Katie said...

I know those same headaches. Yuck.

Loving your words of wisdom!

Edie said...

I've been cracked! :) Spending much more time with my wonderful Lord!!

Have a great week my friend!

Susan Panzica - EternityCafe said...

Hi Kelly,
Had to comment, since I'm married to a chiropractor and work in his office full time! I think of this illustration all the time!

I don't usually post about it because I don't want it to appear self-serving, but I will put a link up to your post!

fyi - there are ways of getting adjusted that don't require a crack or whack! We use an instrument with a rubber tip that is very quick, very precise and gets good movement in a very gentle manner.

Many blessings,
Susan

Beth in NC said...

What a great analogy Kelly -- and so true!

B His Girl said...

I know He is adjusting me all the time. Sometimes I foolishly think I can stand up by myself. I was thinking about the Lord being the Great Physician today. His mercy and adjustments are new every day. Blessings, B

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

Love this post and how it relates to our relationships with our Father. Just spending a little time without Him makes things feel uncomfortable.


Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Carmen said...

Great analogy, as usual! I always enjoy your posts and your corresponding scripture!

Mary Moss said...

Love this analogy, Kelly! I need that Holy Spirit adjustment on a regular basis as well!

My ADHD Me said...

I know this is a lame comment but GREAT POST!! Seriously, you've done it again. You've taken an ordinary, every day occurance that anyone can relate to, and turned it into a wonderful anology!

(now if I could only get spell check to work in the comment box!)

KelliGirl said...

Kelly,
Great post! My friend is a chiropractor. When we were in Haiti she worked on the staff at night. I'd never seen her work before and saw first hand what care and healing she brought to each person she worked on. Her trained hands found their source of tension, discomfort and pain. Working her "magic" she brought restoration and relief. This is exactly what the Holy Spirit does for us! He knows just where we need healing.

prashant said...

Loving your words of wisdom!
home based data entry