Monday, March 22, 2010

Who's at the Helm?

Sometimes I imagine my life as a boat. The photo is the view I should be enjoying, (although I'd have painted toe nails. *grin*). Jesus is at the helm of my boat, my life. My job is to sit back and watch it come. I view the horizon and feel complete peace. Sometimes even the peace that passes human understanding. That is, peace when I see a storm quickly approaching because I know Jesus is in charge. That is the view I should have.

Unfortunately, I must not like peace! Because after I sit and enjoy the view for a moment, I realize I want to drive the boat. So I take the wheel from Jesus. I love the feel of the control in my hands, for a moment. But suddenly the storm takes the boat over and I'm tossing and turning and in way over my head. So of course, I call for Jesus to take the wheel. (yes, I know that is a song, but it's a song about a car. This is a boat).

But as soon as the waves get the slightest bit less choppy, I want the wheel again. Why do I feel that I must control the boat? Things run smoother, and I could relax if I'd just sit down and enjoy the view, knowing Jesus is in charge.

And so I keep learning the same lesson again, and again. Control freak. I need to pry my fingers off the steering wheel and let Jesus take the helm. How about you? Who is at the helm of your boat?

Matthew 8:23-27 -- Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"
He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"


Chatty Kelly

9 comments:

Beth in NC said...

Great post Kelly. I can relate. I pray we can let go and TRUST. :o)

(((hugs)))

Andrea said...

Great post! I believe I will leave JESUS at the helm. Every-time I take over...we get in BIG trouble.
Hugs, andrea

Susan said...

Amen and amen! I take the wheel often just after I've turned it over for the umpteenth time! Thanks for the reminder to let go (again)!

Hugs,

Susan

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

I think this is so true about any of us, men or women. We love control and that ability to just point and go in whatever direction we want. It's that sense of adventure and confidence that we love.

Please let this post remind me that the road is so much smoother if I let God take the wheel and also my life in His hands.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Sharon Sloan said...

First: Your toes look gorgeous! :)

Second: Your post reminds me of two scriptures:

Psalm 127:1 - Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.


Psalm 107:27-30 They reeled and staggered like drunken men;
they were at their wits' end.

28 Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble,
and he brought them out of their distress.

29 He stilled the storm to a whisper;
the waves of the sea were hushed.

30 They were glad when it grew calm,
and he guided them to their desired haven.

Linda said...

This hit home with me. Or should i say it hit helm with me! Thanks for the reminder of who should be at the helm

B His Girl said...

Have I read this before? Maybe it was another pair of toes I saw. lol I still like it if I did. I think we all want a smooth ride. Trying to give it all to Him. B

Edie said...

Oh me of little faith. Nuff said. :)

Lea said...

I'm always grabbin for the wheel too.
Then I'll argue that I'm not a control freak.