Tuesday, November 17, 2009

W.W.K.D. - Part 2

Yesterday I posted about how a friend wonders "What would Kelly Do?" when making decisions because she doesn't know what Jesus would do. While I found that immensely flattering, the thing is what Kelly does do is often sinful. I can be selfish, willful, prideful, judgmental and a slue of other ugly things. I try to do what's right, but let's just say the Spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

I, too, have been praying for a mentor person in my life for a long time. Years long. But I came to realize something recently. God doesn't want me to have a mentor. He wants to be my mentor.

When I was a young woman, my friend Sonya came along side me and taught me so much about God and being a Christian. As a matter of fact, I held Sonya high on a pedestal and my mantra was "I want to be like Sonya!" I was blessed to have someone else in my life who told me in no uncertain terms what I should want is to be like Jesus, not Sonya. Because bless Sonya's heart, she too is a sinner. We all are. We need to cast our eyes on Jesus.

In 1 Samuel 8, the Israelites beg for human king to lead them. This wasn't God's will, He was leading them, He was their King. But they wouldn't back down, so He gave them a king, which costs them their freedom, their goods, their children, and they eventually cried out for relief from that king they so desperately wanted.

Who are you looking at in your life as your mentor, king, or person you esteem wondering what "they" would do when making your decisions? I urge you to thank them, but to look to Jesus, not them, for your answers. Jesus often quoted scripture and used it to resist the temptations of the devil in the wilderness. That is what Jesus did do, and what you should do too.

Isaiah 45:5,6 -- I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me. I am the LORD, and there is no other.

Acts 4:12 -- Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.


Chatty Kelly

12 comments:

Kelly said...

God doesn't want me to have a mentor. He wants to be my mentor.


Well put!

Andrea said...

GOD is my mentor!

Despite all our sinfulness we would be lax if we didn't realize the impact we have on others. As much as we (you and I) want others eyes firmly planted on our Heavenly Father for guidance, they will always watch us to see how we handle ourselves. In my comment yesterday, I simply meant you are doing an excellent job being a friend and example of Christ to your friend. I agree, her mentor should be Christ, but the truth is she may always measure her growth by yours. I am awed as I think of how GOD is using you in her life. He is using you to grow her and help her make wiser and healthier decisions. I praise GOD for the living vessel you are in others lives.
Andrea

Jeanette Levellie said...

I love this, Kelly. You are so right to not want to be on a pedestal or have others up there. Jesus sends us cheerleaders, but He gets the only trophy in the end.

Jen
Audience of ONE

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

I love this post! It truly does minister to us that while we can work with a mentor, our ultimate one, is still God Almighty alone!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Lea said...

He wants to be
mentor to us all.

Loved how you shared your friendship with Sonya. Great post Kelly!!!
I'm thankful you and Sonya have eachother as SISTERS!!!

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Hi Kelly,

Ok, This is a great series, but did you have to announce to the world that I am a sinner? LOL! Just kidding, it is completely obvious that we are all sinners and I am unfortunately the chief sinner!

That's why I need Jesus as my mentor. The only way to have that is to devour the Word of God! Memorize it, meditate on it and read and re-read it, daily.

I'm so glad we are BF's!!! Love you!
Sonya

KrippledWarrior@gmail.com said...

Count me a novice. Under instruction. On the job training.
thank you for your insight.
Some guy you met on the internet.

Blasé said...

..that's more like it!

Susan said...

I agree that he wants to be our mentor, but I also think we Christians often miss the opportunity to disciple others 1:1. It's overlooked in the church, in my opinion. We help people say "yes" to Jesus and then forget to help them grow...really grow.

Hugs,

Susan

Carmen said...

Good post, Kelly! That observation is true of people and of leadership. "There is only one mediator between God and men, the Lord Jesus Christ." I also agree with Susan...we need true discipleship in the church, but discipleship that leads people to worship Jesus, not man. I sure enjoy your insights! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read the article. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Edie said...

I have asked God so many times to make me His apprentice. He is the ONE that can teach us all that we need to know. Sometimes He chooses to use people, and sometimes He is the One who gets up close and personal with us.

Loved this! Oh, I bet I know who your *friend* is. ;)