Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Book Review - What's Age Got to Do With it?

One of the things I love about the Thomas Nelson Blogger Review Program, is the chance to read books for free that I wouldn't normally buy. My book expenses tend to go toward Christian inspirational and Bible study.

I'm not a fan of Oprah or Dr. Phil. Truth is, it annoys me when people quote either of them as THE authority. I tend to look to the Bible as the source for my source of authority. So I requested Robin McGraw (Dr. Phil's wife) book with a chip on my shoulder. I thought I wouldn't like it. I was wrong.

Robin McGraw's book was a fun read! She writes in a easy to understand style about fitness, nutrition, skin care, menopause, hair, make up and fashion. Her chapter on hair care was filled with stories of her hair cut and color mistakes, stories that made me laugh at loud as I could relate in a "been there, done that" sense. But then she shared real insights from both her own experience and experts, not only in the hair category, but in nearly every category in the book.

While I would have expected her chapter on fitness to include stories about her gym and personal trainer, she shared real tips that every person can use, regardless of financial status. While she was very honest about the fact that she enjoys that options now, she related to the time in her life where she used a foot stool in her kitchen to step up and down on to burn calories when she couldn't afford a gym membership.

Her make-up chapter shared not only the expensive name brand products she uses every day, but tips on how apply your products, no matter what brands you use. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn we use the same brand mascara, Maybelline Great Lash.

The chapter I was waiting for however, was the faith chapter. After all, this is a book published by Thomas Nelson, the leading Christian publisher in the world. Like the other chapters, Robin shared of her experiences this time in her faith walk. I enjoyed learning that she is a Christian who loves the Lord. However, in her other chapters she was quick to offer tips ("Robin's Rx") on what you can do to improve in the topic area, and information from experts. In the faith chapter, she only shared her own experience.
I think she missed a great chance to offer non-Christians reading her book help in finding their faith, like the help she offered them in other areas of life not nearly as important. This extra step could have taken her book from a good read to great one.

I thought I wouldn't like a book by celebrity Dr. Phil's wife that I got for free from Thomas Nelson Publishing. I was wrong. And remember when I said this wasn't a book I'd normally buy? I was wrong about that too.
You can purchase "What's Age Got To Do With It?" By Robin McGraw from Thomas Nelson or any other book retailer.


Chatty Kelly

15 comments:

Tammy said...

I've thought about reading this book many times but like you, my purchases are christian books.

Thanks for the review,I think I'm gonna read it. Oh, an I'm not a Oprah or Dr. Phil fan, neither.


love and hugs~Tammy

Joy in The Truth said...

Kelly...I really appreciate reading your review on this book. Robin McGraw is a woman who peaks my interest. I am so glad she shared about her faith and kept it real for all women in the other chapters.

It's neat that you ordered the book with a chip on your shoulder and ended up blessed. Maybe Robin McGraw is "all that and a bag of chips". :)

On Purpose said...

When we let God out of the box He can speak to us through some truly amazing resources...celebrating this today!! I read Robin's book titled "Inside My Heart: Choosing to Live with Passion and Purpose" last year...great read. It was a great book...and God spoke to me many times throughout it!

God can use any person, any resource, anything to love on His people!

May we all experience Jesus each day in new refreshing and life changing ways!

Melanie said...

I read Robin McGraw's first book and enjoyed it.
Wasn't she or isn't she a speaker on The Women of Faith speaking tour?
Anyway...she sure looks great, espcially for the 50's.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

My Army Brats and Me said...

I cant wait to see your car:)

Cindy
fighting like a girl

T. Anne said...

Thanx what a great review, I'm itching to read it now!

LisaShaw said...

I had twittered you yesterday about this in response to your twitter comment also. I have been reading it also (from the Library) and because I'm reading 3 books right now I'm only on chapter 3 of hers so I couldn't fully recommend it yet but I'm glad to read your review of it.

I agree with you that I'm not a fan of Oprah or Dr. Phil. I do like Robin's style in her last book I also obtained at the library but decided not to purchase although it was a good read.

Take care and bless you Sis.

LisaShaw said...

I meant to also highlight this part of what you said:

"However, in her other chapters she was quick to offer tips ("Robin's Rx") on what you can do to improve in the topic area, and information from experts. In the faith chapter, she only shared her own experience.
I think she missed a great chance to offer non-Christians reading her book help in finding their faith, like the help she offered them in other areas of life not nearly as important. This extra step could have taken her book from a good read to great one."

Excellent note!

Ronel Sidney said...

Great review!

I too, am tired of people quoting Oprah and Dr. Phil... I too, would much rather turn to the bible than man for direction and comfort in distress.

Although I enjoy sharing my struggles with fellow bloggers *grin*

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Kelly,

I appreciate the book review. It's too bad that Robin didn't offer more in the "Faith" chapter, but anything that makes me laugh out loud is worth the purchase. :)

Edie said...

I'm not a fan of Oprah or Dr Phil either. I just tend not to follow the *icons*. I saw Robin McGraw speak at a Women of Faith conference and while I thought she was a very nice lady, I felt her advice was too centered on self. (imho)

Dr Phil showed up to walk her off the stage like she does on his show (I'm told).

Love your honesty in this review.

Beth in NC said...

I love Robin. I'm glad to know this book is good. I may check it out.

Thanks!
Beth

HisPrincess said...

Sounds like an interesting book, not one I would buy myself. I would have seen who it was and discounted it immediately...

Perhaps I will have to give it a go!

My ADHD Me said...

"great post" (wink)

Bonita said...

Kelly, I appreciated your book review. I purchased the book a while back, a sizeable chunk out of the wallet, after seeing her on Oprah talking about menopause. I think my view of the book was skewed because I really expected the whole thing to be about menopause and it wasn't. Had I realized that in the beginning I would never have spent so much to buy it.

In the end, I read parts of it and skimmed others. I appreciated her humanness, but couldn't relate to some of it. Maybe I skimmed too much and missed the really good parts.

I don't dislike the book, but it's definitely not a favorite. I did feel that Robin talked to a woman with a different budget than mine. When she listed the items in her make-up bag I knew we were on a very different plane financially. I'd love to implement some of her ideas, but can't at present.

I knew almost immediately that we have very different personalities and that kind of threw me too. Again, I felt I just couldn't relate to her all that well.

Maybe I'll pick it up and read it all the way through or maybe I'll sell it on e-bay. LOL