Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Words

The other day I printed off a couple of my blog postings and gave them to my dad to read. My dad can be dis-interested in my life, and I expected some sort of rejection, yet was hoping for the opposite. He surprised me by saying how much he liked the one he read (he didn't read the other), and asked me to give him a few more copies so he could share them with his friends.

The next week when we got together, I had printed out several copies of my article from Word. "What's this?" he asked. "It's my article." "Where's all the other stuff?" Because I hadn't printed it from my blog, all the header, and side bar info was gone. It had my name and the date, the title and the article. It was truly just my writing. "I don't want this, I want the other stuff." He wanted me to print it off my blog like before. "I'm proud of you." he said as we went our separate ways.

I couldn't help but wonder exactly what he was proud of. It wasn't my writing. He had that in his hand, but didn't want it. Was it the blog layout he was proud of? Because if that was the case, he was proud of Edie at Rich Gift Graphics, who designed my blog. Was it the fact that I had a blog? Because we ALL know that you have to be very special and unique to have a blog. Actually, we all know that anyone can have a blog. If he's proud of that, perhaps if I sign up on Facebook, Twitter and My Space, then he'll really be proud. They are all free Internet services too.

But my heavenly Father taught me something by all of this. How many of us read a daily devotion, or a Bible study book, or Christian living book and say "Wow, I really love the Word of God." Yet, when someone hands us a Bible, we say "What's this? No, I want that other stuff with it." Do we love God's Word or Max Lucado's words?

I'm not putting down Max Lucado, because I happen to love his writing. But if we confuse God with Max, then we are really confused. It's nice to have devotions, and studies, and lifestyle books to help us understand the Bible. But the fact is, those things are peoples opinions. Because the Word of God is living, it imparts to each individual what they need. Perhaps what Max needs is different than what you or I need for today.

Just stop and think. Make sure it's God who you're following. Because we can all write words. But there is only one place to read the Word.

Hebrews 4:12 -- For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Chatty Kelly

**Post script - I'm not implying devotions, lifestyle books, or bible studies are bad. They are GREAT! But nothing is better than the Bible.

22 comments:

sailorcross said...

You are right on with this, Kelly!! God's Word is alive today, 2000+ years later!!

Will we able to say that in the future about a lot of others who write?

Probably not.

A lot of what is written, as you say, are others' opinions, or how they feel that God is speaking to them through His Word.

I love devotionals--they give me insight and perspective. But, when it comes down to it--pick up your Bible, pray and ask the Holy Spirit to work through God's Word to reveal to us what HE wants to say to us, and then READ.

Excellent post, Kelly!!

Beth

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Kelly, this is my all-time favorite post of yours. First of all, I get the ironic humor in it all. This episode with your dad totally mirrors the one I have with my mom, but since she's so advanced in age, I never try to rectify anything. I just accept the relationships as it is, you know? I'm not saying they're not proud of me, just a lot of what you said is very very close to a real-life episode of my life.

Secondly, I get the point of the post, as well. I tried to do a Bible study once with no secondary resources, just a discussion of various scriptures, what it has meant to us, what we think about it, etc. and it was a flop. (IMHO)

And yes you are right: "Because we ALL know that you have to be very special and unique to have a blog."

Truer words were never spoken!!!

Mary Moss said...

Oh, Kelly! I can so relate to this.

Thanks for the reminder to keep our focus on the One who IS The Word.

The Patterson 5 said...

You continually inspire me to go to the Word of God in your writings and in your leadership of Bible studies.

I love your writings and your blog design (Edie's blog design :) ) Perhaps he liked that the design enhanced the delivery of your words. Maybe it helped him to see the words on the pretty pink background! I too really love pink! It's eye catching!.....Catches the eye then the words draw the reader to God and to God's Word!

Love to you!

Dorothy Champagne said...

I think that's why God uses people to write devotionals - because He knows there are those out there who would never pick up His word - but they will look at it through someone else's eyes. Hopefully they will grow to love Him with the help of someone else.

Beverlydru said...

You are so right about the Word. I never cease to be amazed that it is ALIVE!

God's girl said...

Can we say "ouch"...

In a good way of course! Thanks for posting this. I needed to hear it!!!

Love ya, Heaven

Alyce said...

You are so right with this!! Why aren't we on fire for God's word like the latest Nicholas sparks book? I want to have that desire!

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow. Excellent, thought-provoking, and convicting.

We are far too concerned with fluff.

Tammy said...

Kelly,
I am guilt of reading to many devotions, Christians book and all that jazz.

That's why this year I've made a goal(which I haven't done in the past New Years,goal making)to read God's Word first time in the morning.

No more helpers,not until I've thought about and place His Word in my heart for that day!

Great post,
Tammy

Greg C said...

I agree 100% Kelly. I actually enjoy the older versions of the Bible more than the newer translations. We had a discussion a short time ago about how people live their lives by how others interpret the Bible rather than reading it for themselves. Go to the source I say.

On Purpose said...

This is a very thought provoking and heart questioning post today. I will be spending some time thinking about this today...and just what God has to say to me through it!

Thank you!

Sharon said...

AMENNN!! And his name is called The Word of God. "Rev;9"
I feel as though you have given me confirmation today, and I willlll
think on this today.
Be Blessed my friend
Sharon

Mrs. Sidney said...

You are so right!! I just love to open my bible to a random page and read what treasures it has in it!! I do love Max and I have his bible study bile but I do so love the word.

Thank you for sharing and reminding me what really matters.

Susan said...

Thanks so much for sharing about your time with your dad. Hopefully, it was the words that God gave you to pen that he was proud of. I so agree with you about God's Word--not the words of others. I am working on spending time in His Word alone.

Love ya!
Susan

Joy in The Truth (Sharon Sloan) said...

Our Heavenly Father is so faithful and loves us perfectly. And I pray HE nurtures and blesses your relationship with your daddy here in ways you can't even imagine! For His glory! I so appreciate your heart and honesty.

And a big AMEN! God's Word is truth. Anything else we are reading in the "Christian arena" should line up with God's Word.

And let's be gracious not to throw the baby (writer) out with the bath water. No writer and no other writing is perfect truth...only God and His Word. May the Holy Spirit be the Gatekeeper of our hearts and minds and send us a little "red flag" when something we read doesn't line up with scripture.

Thanks, Kelly, for sharing your heart! :)

Marla said...

I am sure your Dad is proud of you. Maybe not for any writings, but perhaps for the woman you have becomes and he is just proud of you for that. I try to read a chapter of the Bible a night. I do read a small devotional book that was given to me by a church friend when my husband passed. I don't read it until after I read the Bible.

Becoming Me said...

Wow---excellent post Kelly---very convicting...very true.

Melanie said...

"God has spoken; everything else is commentary." I'm not sure if this is the direct quote but pretty close to the one in Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. It's a current favorite book of mine.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

My ADHD Me said...

Hi Kelly.
I read this post a few times, trying to think of an appropriate comment.(other than, "Great Post!") After all, we do have the same dad and I DEFINITELY know what you're talking about
.
ie "Dad, I graduated the Fire Academy!!"
response "Hmph, There's no way you will be able to handle that hose".
RESULT-shoulders slumped and loss of interest...and even worse...if you aren't careful...SELF-DOUBT!

DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN!!

Also, remember, he has dyslexia and probably when it's written without the "fluff", maybe JUST MAYBE, it doesn't get through to him as well.

Also, remember that although he doesn't give the support that is hoped for, he does turn around and tell his friends all about you.

I know it is difficult. Just remember, (hhmm, this is getting to be alot to remember) what we talked about. We take our closeness for granted and only recently realized that many, many siblings don't get along even after they become adults. God knew we would need support and knew we wouldn't receive much from our parents.....SO, he made sisters that can talk about almost anything and that can even talk on the phone when they BOTH have a headache and make BOTH headaches feel a bit better. :)

Edie said...

You are right Kelly, nothing is better that God's Word straight from God's mouth.

I'm sorry about your dad's response. You are an excellent writer my dear friend. There is no doubt that your FATHER is beaming from ear to ear when He reads what you write about Him.

Love you girl. Really I do. (now don't take that the wrong way.) :)

Truth4thejourney said...

What a powerful word here!! I agree that we can get so caught up in reading everything else but forget to be first and foremost enraptured by God's words!

Loved it!
Sonya