Saturday, September 27, 2008

Thank You For Giving to the Lord

Here is the song that has been speaking to me lately, for "Then Sings My Soul Saturdays" hosted by signs, miracles and wonders.

My favorite Contemporary Christian song ever is "Thank You" by Ray Boltz. If you've never heard it, the chorus says:

Thank you for the giving to the Lord
I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for the giving to the Lord,
I'm so glad you gave.

Simple words, but so meaningful. You see, I am an approval seeker. I know that I should be satisfied with simply God's approval, but I strongly desire to be accepted, approved. I cry every time I hear that song, without fail. To think that I could make a difference in some one's life. To think on the last day, that someone will come up to me and say "you made a difference to me." Overwhelming!

But I am posting about this song today to share something sad. The writer and singer of this song, Ray Boltz announced this month that he has divorced his wife of 33 years and adopted the homosexual lifestyle. I can't imagine what his wife must be going through. Divorce is hard enough, but this must seem impossible.

Please pray for the Boltz family during this time. And pray for Ray Boltz, and all those who struggle with homosexuality. Obviously we are all sinners who are in need of God's grace, and it is not our place to judge. What can we do? Here are some ideas from James Watkins website:

So how should the Christian community respond? Here are some thoughts . . .

1. Compassion and confrontation

“Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself” (Galatians 6:1).

We must never minimize a lifestyle that God labels an “abomination” and “detestable,” but at the same time, we must “gently and humbly” offer . . .

2. Hope and healing

“Those who indulge in sexual sin . . . or practice homosexuality . . . will [not] inherit the Kingdom of God. Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God” (1 Corinthians 6:9-12).

I hope to see Ray Boltz in heaven one day. I hope to be able to tell him how much his song meant to me, and to be able to tell him "Thank you for giving to the Lord."




13 comments:

He And Me + 3 said...

Wow...I am speechless. I love that song too. It takes me back to my teen missions trip. where did you find this info out? Wow.

Bonita said...

That's a great song and I'm sorry to hear this news. Where did you hear it? I was also shocked at the cover of PEOPLE magazine with Clay Aiken's admission. Makes me very sad.

I think this is a reminder, though, that we need to stick close to the Lord and pray for one another. Both of these fellows were used by God. I mean look at the beautiful song that you listed as your favorite. Satan is hot on the trail of anyone that is impacting people in a powerful way and his mission is to destroy them and in the process destroy their impact on others.

I admit that sometimes I get so frustrated with people who become famous and then do things that dishonor God because these are the very things that make the gospel unattractive to unbelievers. However, I also realize that just because they are in a situation where they can have a tremendous impact on a bunch of people doesn't mean they are perfect or any stronger at resisting temptation that anyone else. They are human. We all are human.

My prayer is that their eyes will be open to the deception and lies they are believing and their relationship with the Lord restored.

Mocha with Linda said...

I just heard about this yesterday and it so saddened me. Thanks for your great words of wisdom. Unfortunately, many believers will forget or ignore the admonition to "let him who is without sin cast the first stone" and the warnings of being "gentle and humble" and recognizing that we are all prone to fall into temptation. Sadly, I've often heard it said that Christians are the only group who shoot their own wounded.

One of the disadvantages of the high-tech society we live in is that the struggles and sins of folks like him are not confined to his personal circle. I'm glad that my decisions aren't broadcast across the world via the media and the internet.

Sue J. said...

We can read this and feel powerless and too remote from the situation to have an impact, or we can come together as believers and draw near to God.

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." --James 5:16

"Shoot our own wounded"--wow!

We just wrestled with "casting the first stone" yesterday in Bible study. What did Jesus write in the dirt that day? Presenting God's Word back to those who were convicting and condemning....they all had to walk away, because none was worthy to cast a stone; no one was without sin. And Jesus restored the adulteress.

It is within our power to help others when we rely on the power of prayer, the power of the Word--the power of God.

You have done a lot of things within this post, Kelly, and I hope it is widely read and distributed (if not actually published outside your blog). You did give to the Lord today!

Chatty Kelly said...

Several people have asked where I got this information. I read it on the website that I referenced. (James Watkins). From there I did backtrack to the article he referenced in the Washington Blade (a gay publication) where Boltz "comes out publicly." Finally, on his own website (rayboltz.com), he announces his retirement from Christian music and alludes to his homosexuality, including a reference to the church for gay/lesbian/et al that helped him.

Edie said...

This is just so sad. This culture has convinced even Christians that homosexuality is a lifestyle but really it is a stronghold. Believing the lie that it is a lifestyle only tightens the chains and gives it more power over a persons life.

We do need to be praying for Ray and for all those who practice homosexuality. It is saturating our nation. Thanks for posting this CK and for your compassionate heart.

Rebecca Ingram Powell said...

No! No! No! No!

I am sick. What heartbreak. What devastation.

Some things I wish I didn't know.

Jen - Balancing beauty and bedlam said...

WHAT!! NO WAY! I read your post and said that out loud. I can't even begin to respond. How? Why? What streams of deception was Satan using and whittling away with in his heart - probably over many years? It's a wake up call for all of us how subtle he can be. I have song that song SO MANY TIMES. The memories attached to it...wow. Praying for his family here in NC.

Tammy R said...

I also love his music. I couldn't believe it,at first when I heard the news.

Never take our eyes off of Jesus!

Joy in The Truth (Sharon Sloan) said...

I was so sad when I heard about Ray earlier in the week.

Jim and I had this song during our wedding ceremony "Thank You For Giving To The Lord" when we presented our moms with roses and thanked our family and wedding party.

Will absolutely be praying for his wife and him and his family.

But by His grace and mercy! He is the giver of new life.

Dorothy Champagne said...

I have to agree with Bonita - Satan will attack those who are having an impact for Christ. But God will use our sins for His miracles. He's done it in all our lives - taken our mistakes and now He is glorified. He can do this with Ray Boltz.

It is true we need to pray for the Boltz family - it's no different than the minister who's having an affair or the televangelist who's stealing money. We all sin and fall short of the glory of God - unfortunately when you're in the limelight, everyone knows it.

My ADHD Me said...

I just wrote a really long comment but erased it all. I really don't know what to add.
What a difficult time is ahead for all involved.

Runner Mom said...

This just breaks my heart too. THe way that satan sneaks in and begins to whisper lies to people--including godly people. They slowly begin to believe these lies and start to live them.

We do need to be in prayer for him and his family. Kelly, thank you for this post and the scriptures.