Friday, August 1, 2008

Work & Pray

Happy Friday! Before I start my regular posting, I wanted to share a couple of things with you guys.

1. My husband thought yesterday's post was not "so fabulous" but so vain sounding. I tried to explain it was tongue-in-cheek, and can only hope that he didn't get it because he is a man and that you gals all got it. I'm not saying that I am "so fabulous" - just that I'd like Jesus to shine fabulously through me!

2. My daughter was called to carry flags at the new church on Sunday (she volunteered; my introverted, don't do anything in public nearly 9 yr old). So she will be in the 9:30 and 11 services. And I was called to lead prayer in Sunday school. I think God is letting us know we are at the church were we belong. And I just love how he answers our prayers. So this is a praise.


Okay - on to our regularly scheduled post:


"Time spent working for God is not the same as time spent with God." said T. Suzanne Eller at the She Speaks Conference. This quote was something I took and committed to memory. It's true. I can be blogging for God and running around completing my ministry projects (so fabulous -LOL), and be so busy doing stuff "for God" that I'm not spending time with him.

Do you ever fall into this trap? One of the reasons I love leading a bible study is that it keeps me in the word. I haven't made a secret of the fact that I've been living on Easy Street over the summer. I got out of the bible habit. And I truly felt myself drift away from God.

Did I still believe in God? You bet your bippy! I love that guy! But I wasn't spending any time with him. And like any of our other relationships (spouse, kids, friends) when you don't spend time together you can drift apart.

The first thing I started to do is quote "Draw nearer to God and he'll draw nearer to you" to myself about 1 million times. Then I drew nearer. I started reading the bible again, and praying, and making time.

If you are so busy working for God, I urge you to pause - and spend some time with him. He's waiting. And it probably wouldn't hurt to spend some more time with your husband, kids and friends too. And, you know, I feel neglected if you don't leave me comments, so could you spare some free time for that?

But seriously, all work and no PRAY makes you a dull girl. Get prayin'. And then you'll shine for Jesus!

James 4:8 -- Come near to God and he will come near to you.

Psalm 119:10 - - I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.

Proverbs 9:10 -- Respect and obey the LORD! This is the beginning of wisdom. To have understanding, you must know the Holy God. (Contemporary English Version)

13 comments:

Bonita said...

Great reminder, Kelly, and a timely one for me! I normally have a quiet time each day, but the other day I didn't do it because I was...gasp...too busy...big blush!. That day went fine, but by the end of the day it started a downward trend. The next morning was awful. You wouldn't believe how many things happened out of the ordinary and I was so sorry I hadn't prepared for it all by spending time with my precious Lord. Lesson learned. Let's hope it stays fresh in my memory from here on out!

Pinkshoelady said...

Hey Girl,
First...He's a man. They just don't get it but I did...I'm with ya girlfriend.

Second...Wow! I've been praying you would find a new church home quickly. May you be grafted completly and wholely into this new church family.

I loved this post!
I too have gotten so busy for God that I left Him out!

I once heard this quote, "Satan knew he could not stop me doing things for God. So instead he gave me too much to do. That way I could not do any of it well."

I'm glad you are back on Prayer Ave. Instead of Easy Street.

Pamela R.

Sue J said...

Making the decision to stay in the Word last summer made such a big difference in my life. We didn't have to do anything enormous; we just needed to stay in it. I've felt the same way this summer, and I'm really now left to wonder, What of Fall?

Love Ms. Pinkshoelady's quote. Don't love the fact that Satan has that many strategies that work. Praise the Lord, they don't have to rule over us, however, when we remember who has the POWER! ("Everybody's talkin' 'bout His POWER!")

Susan said...

First of all...

I loved the fabulous post. I think it's so important to remember that God finds us fabulous and so worth it even amidst what we might call JUNK.

Now, for the rest of the post...I'd like to say "thanks for the two by four"! Seriously, I know what you mean. It's easy to get distracted and not nurture the relationship (draw near). And for me, the hardest thing is simply "being still".

God uses people like you to remind me that He's waiting for our time together.

Hugs,

Susan

Truth4thejourney said...

So important! If we're not full of God we really can't minister to others too long before we're just empty.

I loved your last post, and it's definitely a "girl Thing". But don't be too hard on hubby, at least he's reading your posts, that says volumes about him. :)

Why 2nd Cup of Coffee? said...

This is an ongoing struggle in life-balance. I loved that She Speaks session with Suzanne Eller. It was my favorite.

My ADHD Me said...

First of all, you ARE fabulous....I doubt you were bragging, but you can't hide the truth! :)
Second...YEA to Daughter #1. I am SO proud of her!!
Third....Love your play on words (or should I say PRAY on words)...all work and no "pray". That was good.
Fourth... I also loved Pink Shoe Lady's quote. I never thought of it like that.
And Last...your whole post was so good. Especially to me...who has no excuse because I don't do ministry. It gave me guilt..again...but this time it was well deserved.

Thanks for the reminder!

Starr said...

It is a "fabulous" feeling to serve a "Fabulous" God! You are so right, though. We can get so caught up in serving Him. we forget to acknowledge Him. How ironic is that? Thanks for reminding me to stay on track in my relationship with the One Who created all the avenues in which I serve.
Love ya,
Starr

Suzanne Eller (Suzie) said...

Hey Kelly, Thanks for the quote. It's only something I talk about because it's a personal struggle. If it all fell away, I would still have Him, and that's enough, but the ministry and writing and speaking wouldn't take His place. : ) I appreciate you!

The Patterson 5 said...

Happy to be back will be in later to read and catch up!

HisPrincess said...

Circumstances in my life lately have forced me to stop and look to Him. I have to wonder if I always have to learn these lessons the hard way...

Heather said...

Great post. I edit my photos in photoshop and add the writing in the corner. You can put it anywhere you want it though.

Terri Tiffany said...

Thank you for this timely reminder. You have a great blog! I enjoyed reading:)