Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ministry So Fabulous

"We ask ourselves, who I am to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God...your playing small does not serve the world." I love this quote, which is found on the home page of Ministry So Fabulous.

I've been thinking a lot about my ministry this summer. At my old church I've led a bible study for stay home moms for nearly 9 years. I have coordinated the Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) group. I sit on the Christian School Board. I also sit on the Parents Advisory Committee at my daughters' school. To borrow from the blog above, I have a ministry - so fabulous.

But my tenure as MOPS coordinator is over. I've left my old church as well. I am in the process of figuring out where God wants me to minister. Do I continue to lead my study for stay home moms? Do I start a new ministry with all that entails, at my new church? Is God calling me to a time away from leadership to a servants role, and a time to be led instead of lead?

What about my writing? Where does that fit in? If I am to find time to write articles for publication, a new ministry on my heart, how does that fit in with all my "old" ministries? And of course my blog, that is a new ministry in itself. (So fabulous, is it not?)

I guess part of the answer is to raise up new leaders to fill my old roles. I've already done that in MOPS. Is it time to do that with bible study too? Where shall I lead? Where shall I follow?

I'm praying to God for the answers. All I know for certain is that I want to have a ministry so fabulous. Because really, who am I not to be fabulous, gorgeous, talented and brilliant?

Acts 6:1-4 -- ...their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution of food. So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, "It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. Brothers, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word."

2 Timothy 4:5 -- But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

Romans 12:6-8 -- We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.

12 comments:

Pinkshoelady said...

I will be praying that God shows you who to follow and who to lead. I wish you lived near me, I would get you in my church!

Jeremiah 33:2-3

Pamela R.

Sue J said...

That you have so many questions and no strong leading would suggest that you need to continue on in your prayers. You will feel the Holy Spirit's tug, as you know that feeling, when the time has come for a decision. Because the Spirit doesn't let one so fabulous escape from having a ministry so fabulous for so long. (I just hope I might still be a part of what you do in that....)

My ADHD Me said...

So many important decisions to make! I don't know how you do all you do...not to mention the decisions of WHAT to do. (you know me, I am AWFUL at making decisions).
I DO KNOW that the writing seems to be very important to you, it seems to make you happy, it is a ministry to others (and yourself too maybe) AND you are very good at it so I hope that one continues.
As for church ministries, wait and decide if that is the church for you before you become too involved.
AND as for leading the Bible Study. I like it when you lead it but for selfish reasons....it's easier for me if you're in charge. You are very good at it though and you seemed to enjoy it but I also know there is alot more work involved with leading a Bible Study than most of us are aware.
Well, I doubt this has helped you reach any conclusions. Just my 2 1/2 cents worth. :)

Rebecca Ingram Powell said...

Hi CK,

Loved your post. We need to keep reminding ourselves of our potential in Christ and quit beating ourselves up over what we think we are not or what we think we can't do.

At the same time, I want to remind everyone that "oh so fabulous" doesn't always mean "oh so in the spotlight"--you know? It may not mean you are any more "out there" than ministering to the people next door. Ultimately, balance is the trickiest part of ministry! Finding our way between a spirit of pride that breaks God's heart with our arrogance, and then the opposite, that worthlessness that doubts what Christ has done and floods our way with negativity and insecurity.

When we changed churches five years ago, it was much like we had moved to a different planet. And one church was only four and a half miles away from the other! But everything was different and it was very good for me to embrace where God had put me, even though I really had no idea what I was doing there.

Your blog is a wonderful ministry, and your writing is so refreshing! I have no doubt that God wants to use your writing and that you will get published--and most likely, sooner than you think!

Truth4thejourney said...

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

John 15:8 In this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit, so you shall be My disciples.

Kelly, You are such a precious sister in the Lord. God has prepared good works for you to do even before he created you! He has a perfect thing for you and I will be praying that He will show you what your life should look like right now in order to bring forth much fruit and glorify God!

Mrs. Sidney said...

I pray you hear God's new calling for you! I have been thinking about leaving our church due to the commute but many of the churches in our neighborhood don't have small groups or mom's ministries. Your inspiring me to pray to see if maybe God is calling me to start a ministry in my own neighborhood. Thank you for sharing!!
-Ronel

Why 2nd Cup of Coffee? said...

I always love that scripture about, "O Lord, we don't know what to do, but our eyes are on you." Of course I can't recall where it is right now. If I did give the correct ref, you would know that someone hijacked my keyboard and it's not Lidna. Anyway, I love the implicit trust in that verse.

Chatty Kelly said...

Thanks Linda!! I found it -

2 Chronicles 20:12 -- O our God, will you not execute judgment on them? For we are powerless against this great horde that is coming against us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you.

On Purpose said...

Kelly may you stay very close to God, and you will hear where He needs you to be!

I am praying for you Kelly!

Dear Father God here is Kelly your beautiful servant who is ready and willing, show her where you need her to be! In Jesus precious name-Amen.

Susan said...

Kelly,

I have just gone through something of this sort. My DH was a full time pastor up until about 18 mos. ago. I was in several leadership roles there. When we left, and found a new church, I sat back and was led for a while. I loved it. Now, God has refreshed me and I'm stepping, once again, into a ministry for Him. It's neat though because in my stillness...the ministry grew and is something totally different than what I've ever done before. I love that about Him.

Praying that you'll know just what to do and when to do it.

Blessings,

Susan

HisPrincess said...

Just be patient Kelly. The Lord will lead you where He wants you.

And when you have worked out how to be patient, teach me!

One more thing, keep your blogging going! Please!

Bonita said...

Praying God will lead you to His perfect plan for your ministry. In the mean time, certain "ministries" are a sure thing like being a wife and mother. And those ministries are the most important ones of all!