Friday, August 29, 2008

Sing a Song!

"Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long. Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. Just sing, sing a song." These popular lyrics were sung by the Carpenters, Perry Como and Johnny Mathis to name a few.

I've had several bloggy friends point out to me that they often leave my blog singing or humming a tune. I do reference songs often. I love music! I am blessed with an uncanny ability to remember lyrics as well. Unfortunately, I am not blessed with the ability to carry a tune, which makes my lyric memory a bit of a moot point. Except I'm not shy, so I don't "worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear." I might even be a rock star at Vacation Bible School!

Lyrics speak to me in a certain way nothing else does. It evokes a feeling I can't explain. One of the reasons I love contemporary Christian music is the fact that many of the lyrics are taken right from scripture. Amy Grant's "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path" comes right from Psalm 119:105. In Praise You Through the Storm, Casting Crowns sings "I lift my eyes onto the hills where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth " which is Psalm 121: 1, 2. "As the deer panteth for the water so my soul longeth after thee" - Psalm 42:1. Michael W. Smith: ‘Great Is The Lord’ is from Psalm 145:3. These are just a very few.

Sometimes in your prayer life, perhaps you need help in getting started. I encourage you to SING - sing a song! As Psalm 146:2 says "I will praise the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live." In the words of Rich Mullin "Sing your praise to the lord, Come on everybody, stand up and sing one more Hallelujah. Give your praise to the lord, I can never tell you, Just how much good...that its Gonna do ya."

Psalm 98:4 (KJV) says: "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise." I guess my singing could be labeled as a loud and joyful noise. So, even if you can't carry a tune, join me in praising God! Don't worry if it's not good enough for anyone else to hear, just sing, sing a song!

Psalm 33:3 -- Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy.

1 Corinthians 14:15 -- So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.

Colossians 3:16 -- Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.

14 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

I love that God puts songs in our hearts! I imagine heaven to be a place where we are singing and praising Him all the time and all our joyful noises will sound beautiful! I love that God puts a song in your heart and that you share it as when I ponder over your posts the songs come back to me and make me smile!

Truth4thejourney said...

You Sing Girl! You're right, singing is important for us and God. He loves songs, just walk outside on a spring morning or step out the door just after dark and you'll hear songs - lots of music, all His creation singing praises to their King!

Sue J said...

I'll be honest and say that the first voice I heard when I read your blog was Elmo's. That was a HUGE Sesame Street favorite!

Seriously, though, I have learned a great deal of Scripture through learning songs, because my mind is such that I can pick up songs more readily than reading. We are constantly searching for application of God's word, so when it appears in song, and we sing that song or teach that song to our kids--WOW!

For our awesome God, I think it's a virtuous (as opposed to vicious) cycle: He puts the songs--lyrics and tunes--into our hearts that we might return the praise to Him.

"I love you Lord, and I lift my voice....Take joy, my King, in what you hear. May it be a sweet, sweet sound your ear."

My ADHD Me said...

So that's why I like to talk to tomatoes. That's why a squash can make me smile....I thought it was only me.

P.S. You KNOW that would have been a PERFECT song for my last post:
"Link, Link a blog...don't worry if it's not good enough for anyone else to read...."

DidiLyn said...

That is a great idea. I often do sing along with praise songs when I am spending my time with the Lord, but I honestly hadn't put it together with scripture like you did. That is awesome!

On Purpose said...

I just knew we were "soul" sisters...I love music and lyrics and am always needing lyrics to tie in with my thought processes...but I can not sing for my supper...well I can sing but no one but my precious creator can stand to listen...you know the people who tryout for American Idol and you are thinkin' why in the world did their family and friends not tell them they are horrible...well trust me my family and friends wouldn't even let me tryout!!

Love you my friend!

ps I like your hair straigtened...does it take a long time?

Kay Martin said...

You do open up a song when I visit here...what a good thing!

I also don't want to leave this earth with songs in my heart to God that I never wrote, sang and shared.

He does a unique work in each of us. None of us have the exact knowing of HIm. I want to sing my songs, but oh, how I want to hear everyone's particular song of praise for what He is doing and has done in their lives.

Oh...the songs!!!

My ADHD Me said...

P.S. This is an official THANK YOU to Chatty Kelly for helping me put (and by helping me...I mean doing it completely herself) my award on my blog.....and helping me set the blog up in the first place.....and teaching me how to use it.....and adding my picture.....and teaching me how to add pictures (which she needs to re-teach me)...and adding the blog roll.....

Mrs. Sidney said...

I wish I could carry a tune, I try to sing psalms to my son and he laughs at me with love!

Edie said...

Look at you go with all those songs! I love to Praise Him with songs. Especially when it's just me and Him, cause then I can sing as loud as I want and I can dance before the Lord with all my might.

Have you noticed the linking epidemic going on in the blogosphere since yesterday? Everywhere I go there are Links... wasn't there a song about that? ;)

HisPrincess said...

I beleive the Lord speaks to me through music. So often I will hear an answer to prayer or a direction from the Lord in the lyrics of a song.

Worship songs move me to tears (which can be awkward when you are the worship leader!) and bring me great joy.

Eve said...

Music ministers to me as much as any sermon. When I hear praise songs, "Our God Is An Awesome God"....I just have to sing along. Songs like "I Can Only Imagine" just fill me with joy, I sing right out..."Calvary's the Reason Why" ....that song just speaks to my heart.

But the song that I sing most, "It Won't Rain Always"....by Claudia Clawson...that one keeps me going. I have it at the bottom of one of my blogs..so I can hear it whenever I need to.

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

Hi Cathy,
I LOVE the carpenters. LOVELOVELOVE them and know most of the words!
I know what you mean about music with scripture lyrics... AWESOME!
In fact, it is easier to WORSHIP at church when their is music.
Well, David danced right?! So I say, kick up your heels and praise thee Lord!
Love from the Potting shed,
Lea

Edie said...

Hi Kelly - You are a very musical person. I have always been pretty good at remembering lyrics to old songs but don't hold a candle to you. I love praising God in song. I can get very lost in worship while singing to the Lord. Have a great weekend my bloggy friend!