Friday, May 30, 2008

Formal Wear

My husband and I are attending a black tie gala this evening and I am so excited! I love to get all dressed up. Being a stay-home mom, my attire usually consists of jeans and a cute top. (or shorts & a t-shirt in the summer months). On Sunday I get to step it up a notch at church, but really I don't have the opportunity to dress up that much.

As I put on my fancy dress, a new feeling takes over. It's like Cinderella (or maybe Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, if that's more your thing). For one night I am a princess at the ball. I get to hob-knob with all the "pretty people." Since I usually hob-knob with preschoolers, this is a chance to talk with someone who won't wipe their hands or their nose on my clothes. Exciting!

This reminds me of another time, when I'll get to "dress up." The bible tells us that at the end times, we will be washed as clean as snow! The rags of our sins will be removed and we'll be decked out in the finest "robe of righteousness." This will truly be a chance to hob-knob with the "pretty people," as we'll all be restored to perfection in Christ. Together we can rejoice and praise our heavenly Father!

That will truly be the gala we won't want to miss! Hope to see you there!

Isaiah 61:10 "I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." (NIV)

Colossians 3:9 " Don't lie to one another. You're done with that old life. It's like a filthy set of ill-fitting clothes you've stripped off and put in the fire. Now you're dressed in a new wardrobe. Every item of your new way of life is custom-made by the Creator, with his label on it. All the old fashions are now obsolete. Words like Jewish and non-Jewish, religious and irreligious, insider and outsider, uncivilized and uncouth, slave and free, mean nothing. From now on everyone is defined by Christ, everyone is included in Christ." (The Message)

Revelation 7:9 "I looked again. I saw a huge crowd, too huge to count. Everyone was there—all nations and tribes, all races and languages. And they were standing, dressed in white robes and waving palm branches, standing before the Throne and the Lamb and heartily singing: Salvation to our God on his Throne! Salvation to the Lamb! All who were standing around the Throne—Angels, Elders, Animals— fell on their faces before the Throne and worshiped God, singing: Oh, Yes! The blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving, The honor and power and strength, To our God forever and ever and ever! Oh, Yes!" (The Message)

7 comments:

Sonya said...

You are right! I am looking forward to that reunion with my Lord! See you there.

My ADHD Me said...

Have Fun Tonight! I'm so glad you got everything done, since your babysitter stood you up yesterday. Also just wanted to let the know...the knives are gone. :)

My ADHD Me said...

P.S. Thanks so much for taking care of getting my pic on my blog. Couldn't have done it without you!

Alyce said...

Have a wonderful time tonight!
Alyce

The Patterson 5 said...

Have fun on your night of glamour! What a wonderful message! I look forward to seeing pictures and hob nobbing with you in our righteous robes someday!

HisPrincess said...

Have a great time tonight.

Thanks for your post, its a great reminder of what is in store for us. I tend to forget about the big picture when I'm busy with day to day life.

Sheri said...

Last year, I attended my 20 year reunion. After it was over, I realized that I spent more time in that ONE weekend getting ready for my class reunion than I EVER had getting ready for a date night with my hubby!

I love that you do that! help!