Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Andris

This is Andris. I was at church and there was a big sign up that said "Adopt-A-Camper" followed by lots of photos. The minute I saw Andris' photo, this beautiful boy stole my heart. (I am the mother of 2 little girls, you know).

But my heart was almost immediately broken. As I read Andris information it said:

"Andris has been to camp the past two years. His favorite outdoor activity is water balloons. He is a street kid, who really doesn't have parents or a home. He sleeps wherever he can get warm and eats from the garbage and other people's scraps."

My heart felt truly broken. Andris is 8 years old. So is my oldest daughter. I cannot imagine the life he is living, in Latvia. What could I do? Latvia doesn't like their children to be adopted outside the country. (Yes, I checked). So they create impossible guidelines, such as having to live there for 6 months before you can adopt. In 2007 only 7 children were adopted out of the country.

I wish I could wrap this story up with a nice little ending and we could all live happily ever after. I think of Andris often and pray for him. I did sponsor him for camp. He will go to the church run camp in Latvia for a week this summer where he will learn of and receive the love of Christ.

One day, I hope to see Andris in heaven, and tell him how much I wish I could have done more for him, how I prayed for him and how happy I am that he now has a home and a father...and then we'll be siblings, both adopted in love by the same Father through Christ Jesus.

"In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will." Ephesians 1:5 (NIV)

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!"" Romans 8:15 (NASB)

"But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons." Galations 4:4,5 (NASB)


I hope this video doesn't seem self-serving, but I imagine meeting Andris in heaven will be something like this.

9 comments:

Alyce said...

What a sweet face Andris has..such a sad story. I hope we do get to meet him one day in Heaven.
Have a great day!
Alyce

The Patterson 5 said...

May your love and prayers reach Andris on the other side of the world. Nothing is impossible with God so may his life be changed because of your prayers.

My ADHD Me said...

"Thank you for giving to the Lord, I am so glad you gave". From me to you. Thanks.

Alyce said...

Kelly,
your summer sounds fun...we went to Sandbridge Monday. I'd never been..it was nice. I haven't been to VA BEach, (for the beach) in oh..about 20 years! We used to go to Nags Head alot..now we vacation in GA. We do like to take long weekends for OBX though..you have fun!
Alyce

Mommyluann said...

Special story. Thanks for sharing.
I found your blog off of Lysa Terkeurst. I enjoyed looking around.

Blessings!

Sonya said...

Wow, what a sweet pic. and sad story. I am glad there is a christian camp over in Latvia for the kids to hear about the Lord! Praise God that he can reach the lost wherever they are.

HisPrincess said...

It's heartbreaking to think of kids suffering isn't it. And when they are the same or similar age to your own it really brings it home. Just remember, praying for Andris isn't a small thing, its a powerful and amazing thing to do for anybody.

Sue J said...

And I'm going to suggest to you that perhaps you won't have to wait until Heaven.

You don't know what will happen, what God will do....but you do know that all things are possible with God. God has made it part of His plan that you would pray and support Andris at this point in his life, and that's love in a big way.

Sonya said...

One more thought,
If God is moving on your heart, He may have adoption in your future. Never say Never with God! My hubby and I fell in love with a young Russian girl but she wasn't adoptable. The point was that He moved on our hearts and we did end up adopting another precious little girl from Russia! Can't imagine life without her. :)