Friday, March 9, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!


Today is my birthday! I am not one of those folks who ignores their birthday or are shy about their age. I love my birthday! But I can finally say it isn't as important to me as it used to be.

Growing up feeling worthless, I struggled to find worth. Often times I based my worth on other people's opinions and statements about me. A "good job" meant I had worth. However, a rejection - no matter how small, confirmed my worthlessness.  My birthday was just another day to measure my worth.  If people remembered my birthday and wished me well - I had worth.  If my birthday was forgotten - I was worthless.

I praise God that he has helped me find my worth in him alone! I am a daughter of the king. I will make mistakes. I will not be liked by everyone. I don't have to the best at anything. I can just be me, and be made complete by the Holy Spirit in me. 

So today is my birthday. But I don't need you to wish me a Happy Birthday to make my day complete. It is already complete by the one who knit me in my mother's womb, who sent his Son to die for me, and who loves me because of who HE is, not because of who I am.

Do you realize your worth as a child of God? Embrace your worth in him, regardless of your achievements or failures.  And wish me a "happy birthday" if you want to.  But if you don't, I 'm okay with that. 
Kelly Combs is a Christian wife, mom, writer and speaker. You can learn about Kelly by visiting her website at www.kellycombs.com

Chatty Kelly

2 comments:

Sharon Sloan said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELLY!!!!!!!

Loree Huebner said...

Happy Birthday, Kelly! You have a beautiful soul.