Monday, January 23, 2012

Why Who You Associate With Matters

Are you concerned with the lifestyles of those around you? You should be. Whether or not you admit it, the actions of those you surround yourself with influence your life.

As a Christian married mom, I surround myself with like minded friends to hold me accountable in my thoughts and actions. But what about in the workplace? Think this doesn't apply to you?

That's probably what Joe Paterno thought.  A Penn State football coach for 46 years, he holds the record for the most football victories by an NCAA Division I football bowl subdivision. Yet, his legacy is tarnished by his association with the Jerry Sandusky scandal. And sadly, as his Sunday death is mourned, that scandal will be continue to be associated with Paterno's name.

That's not to negate the power of your influence. Just as you are impacted by those around you, they are impacted by you as well. There is real power in influence. That is why your main associates should be with those you respect and admire. Then make time for those that you choose to mentor as well.

My mom used to say, "Birds of a feather flock together."  Who we surround ourselves with is critically important to who we are, who we become, and the legacy we will leave behind.

When I {God} say to a wicked person, "You will surely die," and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. But if you do warn the wicked person and they do not turn from their wickedness or from their evil ways, they will die for their sin; but you will have saved yourself.

Again, when a righteous person turns from their righteousness and does evil, and I put a stumbling block before them, they will die. Since you did not warn them, they will die for their sin. The righteous things that person did will not be remembered, and I will hold you accountable for their blood.  But if you do warn the righteous person not to sin and they do not sin, they will surely live because they took warning, and you will have saved yourself.  
Ezekiel 3:18-21
Chatty Kelly

4 comments:

Sharon Sloan said...

Yes! We share this verse with our kids all the time:
"Do not be misled: 'Bad company corrupts good character.'”
1 Cor. 15:33
Show love to everyone, but choose your friends wisely.

Adults too!!!!! :)

Hugs,
Sharon

Kelly Combs said...

I love that verse Sharon! Thanks!

Sharon A. Lavy said...

My mom said the same thing. And we pass it on, don't we?

Kari Scare said...

I've told my kids to look at with whom they spend most of their time and know that this is what they will be like in 5 years. I've also told college students (when I taught at a community college) and adults (in an adult Sunday school class) this too. We are studying attitude right now, and how we impact others has come up too. Good post!