Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I'm Not Athletic

Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else. Galatians 6:4

"I'm not athletic."

"Wait a minute," my new neighbor stopped me, "You're not athletic, you're not domestic, you're not...." She trailed off, and suddenly I felt very embarrassed. I'd only spoken with her 3 or 4 times since she moved into the neighborhood, and her comment made me realize I'd said something I "was not" every time I'd spoken to her.

The truth is, I'm not athletic. She was sharing about her hobby of running, and doing a high powered exercise program similar to what the Navy Seals do. I realized in that moment that subconsciously I must have been feeling inferior to her. And in my normal "chatty" way, I verbalized it, without even meaning too. "I'm not athletic."

To find out what I did next, meet me over at Titus 2 in Action, to read the rest of the story.

Titus 2 in Action

Chatty Kelly

3 comments:

Sharon Sloan - Joy In The Truth said...

Ugh...I think I tend to do the same thing...I am not athletic at all or competitive. (I am fun on a team, but not much of a contributor! LOL!) I am keeping it real and setting expectations ~ "I am not athletic" - not one of my gifts!! But this is a great reminder to be careful of what we are saying and not to dishonor the Gift Giver by what we are not.

Hugs,
Sharon

Melanie said...

I'm not athletic either. In fact, I've been told I'm not even that coordinated!
I do the same thing! I can't tell you how many times I've said, "I'm not a people person" or "I'm not a good administrator."

Yeah...I need to stop this too b/c the truth is I am a runner and I do like people and I am a good leader.

KelliGirl said...

Hi Kelly,
I am athletic and quite competitive, but there are plenty of things I'm not. There have been plenty of times that I've set myself aside with an "I'm not." I love how the word of God speaks truth into our lives and reminds us who we are!

Blessings,
Kelli