Monday, June 28, 2010

Spirit in the Sky

Goin' up to the spirit in the sky, That's where I'm gonna go when I die.
When I die and they lay me to rest, Gonna go to the place that's the best.
Spirit in the Sky, Norman Greenbaum, 1970


Do you ever think about death? Not in a morbid or morose way, but when a family member dies do you consider where they may end up, in heaven or hell?

How about when you die? Do you think you are going to the "place that’s the best?" What place is the best? Do you think heaven is a boring place where you’ll float around with wings and play a harp? I don’t think so! The bible paints very vivid pictures of heaven and hell, and clearly heaven would be the place that’s the best.

Hell is described as gloomy dungeon, a place where the fire never goes out, a place with weeping and gnashing of teeth, a bottom less pit where your soul is destroyed.

Heaven, on the other hand, is a place of great joy where we will worship God, there will be treasures and rewards, there is no death, sorrow or crying, and there is great beauty there.

The Bible is clear that there is a heaven and a hell. We all deserve to go to hell, because we are all sinners. However, we can go to the place that's the best, simply by believing the Jesus is God's son who died on the cross for our sinners. Confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9).

Then when you die and they lay you to rest, you can go to the place that's the best!

Musical Musings
1. Do you believe in the existence of heaven and hell?
2. Are you assured that you are going to the place that’s the best?
3. If you're not sure of your eternal life, why not pray the prayer below. Then talk to a faith filled friend or pastor to help you become sure of your eternal life.

Karaoke:
Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and I do not deserve eternal life. But, I believe You died and rose from the grave to make me a new creation and to prepare me to dwell in your presence forever. Jesus, come into my life, take control of my life, forgive my sins and save me. I am now placing my trust in You alone for my salvation and I accept your free gift of eternal life. Amen.

Rock On: Read about the rich man and Lazarus’ experience with heaven & hell in Luke 16:19-31.


Chatty Kelly

5 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

This is so timely for today's generation that believe that "hell" will be a place where they will be partying with all their friends, yet what a disappointing image it truly is, what an ultimate lie from the enemy.

We all should seek to wonder what our lives hold long after we breathe our last, I for one, am grateful that only by the grace of God am I saved and therefore look forward to my eternal permanent home after this life.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Julie Gillies said...

Honestly, any thoughtful person will occasionally think about these things. There are many days that I long for heaven, Kelly. And there are times I grieve for those I know departed this earth without Christ. My prayer is that you and me and other believers will be bright lights that attract many to Him.

Blessings to you, my friend.

KrippledWarrior said...

If you know anything about me. You know my answers to all of those questions. And that I have spent an extraordinarily large portion of my life staring my mortality right in the eye. And when I go. It's going to be on Wheels of Grace.
See you there sister,
Kurt

Susan said...

Love your post, Kelly! So interesting b/c I have a son who is wrestling w/the whole idea of hell right now. He believes in heaven alright, but hell's bothering him. I have to let him go through this...but it's on my heart big time.

Hugs,

Susan

Nel said...

Very good post! I think there is a lot of people young and old alike that just don't get it, even professed christians. I don't think they realize it is one or the other. The way they live their lives and what comes out of their mouths. Sad really sad. I pray for those people all the time.
until next time... nel