Monday, March 1, 2010

What I learned on my 10 day Daniel Fast

As I mentioned Friday, I completed 10 days of fasting eating only fruits, veggies, and whole grains and drinking only water. (No coffee!) Only God in me made this possible. I could never do it myself. Here are some things I learned while on the fast.

1. God created us with empty places that can be filled only by him. But instead, we turn to food, facebook, TV or other things. Whether I'm happy, sad, bored, or lonely, I use food to comfort me. I need to be turning to God.

2. I eat unconsciously alot. I graze when making the kids snacks, or eat when I see something that looks good, even when I'm not hungry. Fasting made me analyze every thing I ate, and think before eating it.

3. I am blessed with an abundance of food! Day 1 while I was eating breakfast, I couldn't bring myself to complain, thinking of the people in Haiti who would love to eat my tasteless muesli, and drink my fresh water (with no coffee in it!). This fast was made so much easier by the abundance of fresh fruits and veggies available. It wasn't a hard ship, although it did require a lot of self-denial. (as opposed to self-indulgence.)

4. Frozen grapes taste like candy when you haven't had any sugar in 6 days.

5. I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me!

What can you accomplish through Christ today?

Philippians 4:13 -- I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.

Chatty Kelly

14 comments:

My ADHD Me said...

Again, I really am SO proud of you!

Isn't it great to know that you really can do anything with God at your side!

I can do anything too. That includes being on time and if I am going to be at your house by 9:45 this morning, I need to get off this computer NOW!!

See ya!

Melanie said...

You did it! After giving up sugar for awhile, everything seems to be too sweet.

Jenny said...

Way to go, I need to to do this.

2Thinks said...

Today, I just might have the chance to encourage someone in the faith, at the bookstore, where I work- my favorite part of the job!

Good for you for accomplishing the fast. I've actually never intentionally done one.

KrippledWarrior said...

You inspire me to no end. Thanks for all you do.

Sharon Sloan said...

Proud of you! Praise the Lord!!!

OK, one question -- maybe two -- coffee again?

Hugs,
Sharon

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

WOW you are one brave soul tackling this task. I can't imagine how much effort it is taking but then again what you are learning in the process is life changing.

I am learning to trust more in God despite those things I fear the most.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Blasé said...

I'm eating High Fiber Maple and Brown sugar Oatmeal every morning, topped with walnuts and blueberries.

Very healthy and even delicious to boot!.

Carmen said...

Good for you, Kelly! Sugar is really bad for you, and fruit tastes so much better when you don't eat all the other garbagy sweets (is that a word?) I'm amazed you excluded coffee from your fast...that would be hard! Congrats!

Marla said...

So pleased I found you through Blase.

Edie said...

Yay for you Kelly! I know how hard it is to be really self disciplined when it comes to eating. You really do analyze everything. We are a very self indulgent people.

Edie said...

I didn't mean you specifically. I meant that people really do analyze everything when they are being disciplined in their eating. :)

Mary Moss said...

Wow, Kelly! Good for you! How wonderful to have received the blessings that were possible through your fast.

How amazing to have grown so very close to God during that time - and I'm sure moving forward as well!

Beverlydru said...

Glad you wrote about this. I am not good at denying myself...my husband is a master at discipline. Me- Not so much. I eat healthy but just too much- especially as the years progress and I need less.