Friday, February 26, 2010

Why Fast?

Last year this time, I read a blogger's post about giving up sugar. My immediate thought was "I could NEVER do that." Some time passed and a second blogger I follow gave up sugar. Again, "I could NEVER do that." But that I time I also thought, "Why couldn't I?"

My day starts with sugar...in my coffee. And ends with sugar...in my ice cream. I love sugar. Chocolate is my friend. And those sweet coffee drinks. MMMmmm!

Soon a couple of friends were doing the Daniel Fast. I love the tag line of this book, which says, "Sometimes you are so hungry that the only way you can be fed is to fast." And so I began contemplating not just giving up sugar, but giving up sugar, all sweeteners including artificial and natural, meat, diary, and EVERYTHING except whole grains, fruits and veggies, and drinking only water. (no coffee!)

As I began reading the Daniel Fast book and meal planning, I became excited. With the help of God, I could give up sugar, and all that other stuff. I set Feb 16 as my start day and decided to fast for 10 days. I did it for a couple of reasons.

1. To show God's power. I couldn't do it. I absolutely could not do it. But God in me could, and that is very exciting!

2. To deny myself. We live in a world of self-indulgence, not self-denial. I pretty much eat anything I want. I wanted to deny myself for God.

On Monday I'll post some things I learned as a result of my fast, but today is the 11th day. The end result?

I did it!!!! GOD DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chatty Kelly


Matthew 16:24 -- Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Daniel 1:12 -- {Daniel said} "Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink."

22 comments:

Sharon Sloan said...

I love this!!! Rejoicing with you my friend!!!!! :) Woo Hoo!

His strength is made perfect in your weakness!!!

Can't wait to read Monday's post!

Jody said...

Fasting is an incredible experience. I tried it myself last summer. Good for you!!!

Tammy said...

Fasting is something that I've been pondering. I've fasted before but only about 10hrs at a time. I've read about the 'Daniel Fast' several times and now I'm read about,again. Do you think God is telling me something?

I'll be stopping by to read on Monday to see what you have experienced.


love and hugs~Tammy

Julie Gillies said...

I'm jumping up and down with you, Kelly! Good for you, girl! *big smile*

After my 21-day Daniel Fast at the beginning of this year, (and by the way, thanks for linking my post) I intend to fast every year. It totally recalibrated my heart and brought me back to a healthier eating place after the holidays. But more than that, it brought me closer to the Lord.

Looking forward to your next post!

T. Anne said...

I have heard of the Daniel fast. I do believe the Lord appreciates our efforts. For the past week I've been fasting, no food after four p.m. When I hit those strong hunger pains I take my aches to the Lord and spend time with Him. I'm so desperate for His attention.

KrippledWarrior said...

I did a forty seven day fast once. But I was in a coma for the first seven and only had nutrients and saline through an IV for the last forty. But I did talk with God while I was there. And I lost 75 pounds and my left leg and lower intestines. Your results may vary.

KrippledWarrior said...

SORRY! Didn't mean to be a buzz kill.
You know I love you!

Barbie said...

Thank you for sharing this awesome testimony, and the book too! I just bought it from Amazon. I was one of those who gave up sugar several weeks back. After losing about 7lbs., I fell off the wagon and I think the wagon left the barn. I can't seem to get back on, but I know that fasting is a discipline that I desire, so I am hoping this book, and your continued progress and testimony will help me on this journey.

Melanie said...

I am so proud of you and GOD.

2Thinks said...

The subject of fasting always interests me, yet I have never tried it (or let God teach me through trying it). Maybe I will. Someday.

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

Congratulations! I can't wait to hear all the details of just how God has blessed your life in so many ways besides just giving up the food.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Blasé said...

My wife says I eat too fast...

Blasé said...

..oh, and I love you more than HH does.

Beverlydru said...

Well Go God! I can't wait to read more!

feolafitness said...

Hi! Just came across your blog and wanted to let you know about my blog, Those Who Hunger, which provides recipes and devotionals for people doing the Daniel Fast. Perhaps it will encourage you. I pray that the Lord will richly bless you as you seek Him during your fast.

www.thosewhohunger.blogspot.com

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." - Matthew 5:6

Greg C said...

I am in the same boat. I want to do it, I know I can do it but I just have trouble getting started. I have fasted before and it did me a world of good but it was only for three days. I should try for an entire week. I am feeling a bit guilty right now because I am having my first cup of coffee....with sugar.

My ADHD Me said...

I am SO proud of you!!!!!!!!!!

Runner Mom said...

You go girl! God is awesome! Thru Him we CAN do all things!

Stay warm this weekend!
Hugs!
Susan

KelliGirl said...

This is awesome! I read about the Daniel fast on another blog as well. Can't wait to hear how God revealed Himself to you.

KelliGirl said...

This is awesome! I read about the Daniel fast on another blog as well. Can't wait to hear how God revealed Himself to you.

Jenny said...

That is awesome.

Edie said...

Yay for you! I'm so proud of you Kelly. That is not easy but we do need to exercise denial of self.