Monday, October 26, 2009

The Gifts of Facebook

“Katherine sent you a cup of coffee.”

My first Facebook gift! My friend Katherine had been encouraging me to get connected by joining Facebook for a while. When I did, I was amazed at the number of my current friends who were already on the social networking website. I also reconnected with many old friends, and got to know them better. The site allowed me to connect with people I hadn’t spoken to in years.

It wasn’t long before I received the cup of coffee notification. All of my friends know I love coffee. There is something so rich in the coffee experience for me; the smell, the feel of the hot mug in my hands, the taste. It is all so satisfying to me. Imagine my surprise when I clicked the link looking for my coffee gift card and discovered there was no gift card. There was no coffee at all. It was a faux cup of coffee! While I appreciated the gesture involved, there was no satisfaction in my pretend coffee.

Next I received a notice that someone had given me a green plant. Of course it was a faux green plant. Soon someone else was “passing out drinks.” There were gifts of puppies, candies and flowers. Someone baked me a cake. None were real.

I must admit I found this whole faux gift giving rather juvenile. If the gifts aren’t real, then let’s dream big. Give me a car, boat or mansion. Why stop at a cup of coffee? The truth is, they were calling it a cup of coffee, but there was nothing behind it.

It made me think about my relationship with God. In my early 20’s, I told people I was a Christian. I didn’t go to church, or read the Bible, or even pray. I was like a Facebook cup of coffee. I said I was a Christian, but there was nothing behind it. I believed in God, but there was no richness in my relationship with God, and consequently, no satisfaction. I was a faux Christian.

I met a real Christian friend in my late 20’s. She shared truths from the Bible with me. She got me interested in learning more. I started going to church and became an active member. I joined a Bible study. While in that study, I read a passage in James that said, “You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that – and shudder.” (James 2:19) This passage surprised me. There was more to Christianity than just believing in God?

I realized that saying I was a Christian simply because I believed in God, was like saying I am giving you a cup of Facebook coffee. Saying it doesn’t make it real. Through the book of James I realized that my faith, my belief, should inspire a change in me. This change would then produce a desire to learn more about Jesus, and to act on my beliefs, not just believe. As that happened that richness was there. My outward actions matched my inward belief.

James was a good place for me to start. It was a short book of the Bible that was easily readable and understandable. I continued in Bible study, and read more and more of the Bible. Soon I was able to make decisions in my life based on what I knew was God’s will, not mine.

The more I knew about God, the more I wanted to know. As I connected with God, I received gifts from him. His gifts, however, were real. They included spiritual gifts, the gift of the Holy Spirit and the greatest gift, eternal life through Jesus.

I found there is true richness and satisfaction in a relationship with God. Like a hot cup of coffee, there is warmth there. Improving my relationship with God doesn’t require “Facebook.” It involves putting my face into the book, the Bible. That’s how I got to know God better. I am connected, and social networking has nothing to do with it.

Chatty Kelly

19 comments:

Sharon@JoyInTheTruth said...

Love it...the more we know God, the more we want to know Him! :) Amen sista!

Hey - friend me! :) FB

Penny said...

I really enjoyed your analogy in this post. I also am a coffee lover. More than that I am a Jesus lover and only want to find His reality IN me, more and more every day.

Thanks!

Julie Gillies said...

You know Kelly, I think there are a lot of people who think they're Christians and have no clue what that means. They don't realize that Christianity is a relationship with a real God that involves interaction in our day-to-day lives.

Good post!

Beverlydru said...

This is soooo good. A true word you've spoken that will speak to anyone who has stuck their toe into this thing called socal media. Just give me Jesus - the real thing. Great, relevant writing. Makes me think of that verse "my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer.

renee said...

Ya know what Kelly.....you are all grown up now!! I am so impressed and more importantly, inspired by your teachings. You truly have a gift and I'm thankful that I took the time to read your blog this morning as it is so very true about saying I'm a Christian but not having much substance behind the words. Thank you for this morning "cup of coffee"! God bless you girlfriend!

B His Girl said...

There is nothing like the real thing!!!! You should take this idea and write an article to submit for publication. B

T. Anne said...

Wow, great analogy of your christian life! I want to be real in every way, especially with my Father. Nice post.

Greg C said...

Well there goes the idea of sending your children a facebook puppy for Christmas. Oh well. I got a lot of those too and quickly learned not to even bother with them. You may also get the notifications that say So and so is an old friend of yours, can you verify this. Don't bother.

I heard someone say that same thing recently: You believe in God? Well so does satin. That kind of says it all. There is more to being a Christian than believing. Faith without works is nothing.

Great post Kelly.

KelliGirl said...

I love the book of James. Such great truths that shake us up and spur us on.

When we experience the warm, intimate relationship that Jesus offers, there's no going back to the imitation. We want the real thing!

Hmm...gift giving on FB. Think of all the money I can save at Christmas...I wonder what Dave Ramsey would say?!

Thena said...

So many know of Him, but not know Him. But isn't it so much better knowing him and not just knowing about Him.

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

What an eye opening post this was! Too many times we forget that our actions should always speak louder than any of our words. People should always be able to see Jesus at work in our lives.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

KrippledWarrior said...

I just feel compelled to say "AMEN sister."

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Outstanding post! I loved the analogy, Kelly! Glad I came by today to visit.

Love you!

Sonya

Diane said...

Great thoughts! I just joined fb and am enjoying it, I think. :O)

2Thinks said...

Good one. You are so good at these. You should compile them into a devo book for bloggers or sumthin.

Edie said...

I love your testimony Kelly. I remember the first time I questioned what made me a Christian too. I was filling out some application or something and it asked my religion (back with that was legal), and offered a number of choices. By process of elimination I decided I must be a Christian because I knew I wasn't any of the other choices. But at that moment I asked God what made me one.

Jeanette Levellie said...

Wow, this is a terrific analogy. I think the Facebook gifts are a waste of time and energy.

God's girl said...

Hi, just wanted to stop by and say Hi! haven't done that for awhile so trying to personally say hi to all my blogger friends:) Hope your kids get better soon:) Heaven

Anonymous said...

This is one of your best posts yet! THIS you need to submit for publication somewhere! Kudos to you, Kelly!