Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fearless, by Max Lucado - Book Review

"In this world you will have trouble." Jesus tells us that in John 16:33. What is troubling you? Whether it's the economy, war, disease, or fear of your child being sick or abducted, we all have something that pushes our fear button.

Max Lucado's new book, Fearless, challenges us to live a life based on faith, not fear. He shares the one statement that Jesus made more than any other, "Don't be afraid."
In his smooth style of story telling, Lucado weaves modern anecdotes with Biblical principals leaving the reader encouraged. "Worry is the darkroom where negatives become glossy prints." Lucado tells us. He moves on to say "Be a doer, not a stewer." This could become a motto for life.

Each chapter of his book covers a different area that may be causing you stress, and ways to increase your faith, not fear. He shares that it isn't a "Pollyanna" faith of everything will be perfect. No, Lucado says "Real courage embraces the twin realities of current difficulty and ultimate triumph. Yes, life stinks. But it won't forever. As one of my friends likes to say, 'Everything will work out in the end. If it's not working out, it's not the end.'"

As for John 16:33, Jesus continues, "But take heart! I have overcome the world." Take heart. Or as Max Lucado says, "Fear will always knock on your door. Just don't invite it in for dinner."

For more information on Fearless, visit Thomas Nelson Publishing. I give this book 5 stars. It was excellent.

Chatty Kelly

20 comments:

KelliGirl said...

Great review Kelly! I. too, loved the book. Although you managed to say it in half the words I did.

Happy official end of summer,
Kelli

B His Girl said...

Fear is always knocking at my door. I need to remember not to invite it for dinner. Thanks for the encouraging words from Max's book. B

Blasé said...

..yeah, and I give your Blog 6 and 1/2 Stars!

Sharon@JoyInTheTruth said...

Thanks, Kelly! I may just get and read this book based on your review. :) I so appreciate how Max writes and gives us beautiful word pictures. And I will remember not to invite fear for dinner. As a matter of fact, fear can just leave the premises all together.

Thank you for reminding me something Jesus said to us most often "do not be afraid".

Hugs,
Sharon

B His Girl said...

It's me again. I left your site to read someone who writes kind of a 'word for the day' with the Lord. It said "perfectionism is knocking at my door and I am inviting it in." Oh my, I have many callers knocking! Fear and perfectionism! Evidently I also have open house a lot. God is speaking to me this morning! I need to put a new lock on my door! B

Runner Mom said...

Ok!! I just left Kelli's blog, and you two are on the same page!! This sounds like a great book! I plan on picking up a copy--just as soon as the school district sends me a paycheck!!

Hugs,
susan

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Kelly,

Excellent review, girl. I will be adding this book to my Christmas wish list. (I guess you and Kelli @ Awesome God, Ordinary Girl both read this book about the same time.)

Oh, and I love your friend's quote. I guess it's definitely not the end, huh?

T. Anne said...

Great review. I'm sold. I want this book!

Truth4thejourney said...

Loved the review, Maybe I could borrow the book some time. Thanks for sharing.

I believe the reason why Jesus had to constantly say, "fear now" was because He knew it would be a universal struggle with mankind (and womenkind).

Hope your first day of school is going well!

Sonya

KrippledWarrior said...

Praise God "in" all things. Fear is the opposite of belief. With the Almighty's promise, only a lack of belief can raise fear. Trust Him.

J'admire votre style

2Thinks said...

A wonderful review. I am learning from the best in reading yours! Thank you.
Heidi

Carmen said...

Good review Kelly! I haven't read this one yet.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I did not know this was coming out. I can't WAIT!

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

I loved this book. It has helped so tremendously in my life that it is difficult to put into words. This is a keeper and a must read for anyone.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

HisPrincess said...

I love Max Lucado! Thanks for doing this review Kelly...I can't wait to read the book now.

Sue J. said...

"Be a doer, not a stewer."

That is one of those things that worry does--it causes one to become inactive and just sit in one's problems, fearful to try anything. And stewing over things is not what God wants for us.

It sounds like classic Lucado with maybe a bit more meat thrown in?

Ronel Sidney said...

I love Max Lucado... can't wait to read this one!!

Laurie said...

Hi Kelly,
I would love to read that book, it sounds wonderful. He is one of my all-time favorite authors too. I also loved your Christianese post, wow true and funny those "sayings" were. Happy 9/9/9!
Blessings, Laurie

Edie said...

I definetly need to read this book. Thanks for the review Kelly. I can't imaging that Max would get less than 5 stars but you never know. :)

My ADHD Me said...

This looks like a book I could use, um, er, I mean this looks like a book I would like.