Monday, April 27, 2009

The Noticer - By Andy Andrews - Book Review

I haven't found a fiction book that I've really loved in a long time. Until now. The Noticer by Andy Andrews is the best book I've read in ages. From the first page, where we are introduced to "Jones," I was riveted to find out what would happen next.

Jones has the gift of perspective. And he seems to find people just when that is exactly what they need. "All lives" Jones says "are either in a crisis, coming out of a crisis, or headed for a crisis." Jones finds people in their time of crisis and by offering perspective he saves marriages, reputations and even lives.

Much of Jones perspective is simple, and some of it isn't even new. It's just offered in a new and refreshing way.

Jones says "It's time to stop letting your history control your destiny."
Jones says "A grateful perspective brings happiness and abundance into a person's life."
Jones says "Everybody wants to be on the mountain top, but if you'll remember, mountaintops are rock and cold. There is no growth on the top of a mountain.....We must come off the mountain, go through the valley and begin to climb the next slope. It is in the valley that we slog through the lush grass and rich soil, learning and becoming what enables us to summit life's next peak."

I really loved this book. Based on a true story, the characters in the book were well developed which made me care about them and what would happen to them. I couldn't wait to find out more about Jones. Was he really a drifter? How did he get his perspective? I enjoyed the fact that many of the perspectives Jones shared were relevant in my own life, and I'm sure they'd be relevant in others as well.

The Noticer is a feel good book that left me wishing for a "Jones" to bring perspective into my own life. I'll have to settle for Andy Andrews.

Chatty Kelly

Click here to become part of the THE NOTICER PROJECT, and notice the five most influential people in your own life.
To purchase a copy of this book visit Thomas Nelson or any book retailer.

22 comments:

Bonita said...

Sounds really good! I'm a hard sell when it comes to fiction, but I just might have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing.

Beverlydru said...

My kiddos just asked what I want for mother's day and I said "books". This will go ont the list I am making today. Thanks!

Joy in The Truth said...

I read the first several verses of Psalm 40 this morning with the kids for their devotions. "Influencing" others for Jesus comes as we stand on the Rock and follow Him. I pray our lives are quietly but solidly influential for Him! :)

B His Girl said...

Andy Andrews has spoken at our church before. He was very entertaining and full of insight. He used to live about an hour from my town. Not sure if he is still there. The only fiction book I have read in 9 years is The Shack Chances are not good I will read this, but your review made me want to know Jones. May you feel Jesus' Presence near you today. B

Jenny said...

That sounds like a pretty good book. I could always use some perspective.

Lois Lane II said...

Oh, yea! I looovveee fiction! Thanks for letting us know about this!

Greg C said...

Sounds like a great book. I may have to check it out and also make a post on their website.

Julie Gillies said...

Oh thanks for this, Kelly. Love your review...it sounds like an excellent book. I've already heard such good things about it. It's on my wish-list for Mother's Day.

Billy Coffey said...

I keep hearing such good things about this book. I'm gonna have to go out and buy one.

That was a great review!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Sounds like an interesting book!

I had to laugh (in a good way) at your profile. I'm also a total control freak! It's not easy but I'm learning to give it to God, too.

Mrs. Sidney said...

Sounds like it would be a good pick for my book club..

Thanks for sharing!!

Runner Mom said...

This book sounds really interesting! Thanks for the review. I'll have to check it out this summer.

I'm going to get a copy of Mary's book tomorrow. And, when that day comes and YOU are published, I'll get yours too, sweet friend! God's timing is hard to understand sometimes.

Love ya,
Susan

Susanne said...

Sounds like a good one. Just might have to put this in someone's ear for Mother's Day.

Angela said...

This sounds fabulous Kelly. Thank you for the review.

Leslie said...

I assume that since you can get this at Thomas Nelson, I'd be able to find this in a Christian bookstore. I have gift cards to one that I need to use. I'll have to check this book out! Thanks!

Tammy said...

It sounds like a great book. Oh, I have some many books to read. OK,what's one more.

love and hugs~Tammy

Blasé said...

"A grateful perspective...."

Sounds like a book even 'I' might take the time to read.

There are two things that actually "Please" God

1. Being Grateful/Thankful
2. Having Faith/Trust

During these hard times, Trusting and Thankfulness will keep our hearts from discouragement.

Rachel Olsen said...

Hum - I'll have to look this one up next time I'm in the bookstore ... which, let's face it, is about every other day!

Blessings ~ Rachel

Melanie said...

I'll have to check that one out.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

My ADHD Me said...

Well, I am finally caught up with the last few posts of your blog.

First of all, thank you for the last one, "I am Second", with the soldier. It was riveting.

As for The Noticer- I read that book and it was everything you said. I really enjoyed it!

(great job on writing the review!)

Tammy Nischan said...

I can't wait to get a copy of this book!

Thanks for sharing! Have a blessed day!

tammy nischan

Linda said...

THis sounds very interesting. I may recommend it for my book club. Thank you for the review!