Monday, January 26, 2009

Who's Your Pilot?

When flight 1549 took off on January 15, I'll bet few of the passengers knew the pilot's name or resume. However, shortly after take off, the plane crash landed into the Hudson River, and not one life was lost. Suddenly Capt. C.B. Sully Sullenberger was hailed a hero. Reports say few pilots could have made the water landing safely, as he did. His efforts were dubbed "Miracle on the Hudson."

We often live our lives on auto-pilot. We're just going through the motions...get up, kids to school, off to work, do the laundry, make dinner. Or worse, living like we're the pilot. Oh, we let God have co-pilot status, assisting us when we need it. But when we crash? Suddenly we realize we're not qualified to pilot. We want another pilot to take the wheel and bring us to safety.

I suspect the next time I take a flight, I still won't know the name of the pilot, or his resume. But I do know the name of the one who didn't just save 155 lives, but who gives all who confess and believe in him eternal life. I do know the "resume" of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and the man who performed real miracles.

His name is Jesus. And I want Him to be my pilot.


Psalm 77:14 -- You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples.

2 Kings 19:15 -- LORD God of Israel, your throne is above the winged creatures. You created the heavens and the earth, and you alone rule the kingdoms of this world.

Job 37:15, 16 -- Do you know how God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash? Do you know how the clouds hang poised, those wonders of him who is perfect in knowledge?


Chatty Kelly

19 comments:

Tammy said...

I must confess there are times that I take over as the pilot and the outcome not so good.

Your post,like so many of them, help me to see who is the important One in my life!

love,
Tammy

Runner Mom said...

Was that a miracle in the river or what!!

As long as we give God the controls--control of --our life, we're fine. IT's hard to hand them over sometimes. Something I need to "pray without ceasing" about!!

Hugs,
Susan

Susan said...

I love this, Kelly! It's so hard to give "total control" sometimes, isn't it???

Thanks for this reminder.

Susan

Irritable Mother said...

"His name is Jesus."
And He has safely landed me in the river time and time again. I don't want anyone else in control of my life.
Just Jesus.

My ADHD Me said...

Spoken like a true "recovering control freak".
And flight 1549 did experience a miracle...amazing!

Beverlydru said...

Amen, amen! I love waht Irritable Mother said.

On a silly note... I could use your vote over at 2nd Cup of Coffee today. Shameless begging.

On Purpose said...

When I answered the question before I read the post...I said...my husband the Engineer...cause he's a pilot...HA! But then I read your post and realized it was a serious question!!!

Way to mix in the real everday life with the real Jesus!

Mocha with Linda said...

Love this.

Greg C said...

I love it Kelly and it is so true. We take so many things for granted these days and don't reach out to God until things either go wrong or really great. Usually it's the first sadly enough.

B His Girl said...

Oh my....God is connecting all of our words! I will answer that question tomorrow. The Lord is mind boggling!

The Patterson 5 said...

AMEN! Jesus is the pilot but how often do I forget! Thanks for the inspiration to keep my focus on who should really be incontrol of all activities.

Marla said...

Well I think God was piloting that plane. As I left for work this morning, I asked God to take the wheel on the snowy roads because I get so nervous driving on them. I did attempt to make it to work but had to turn around, they were nasty. Thank you for your great posts!

Mrs. Sidney said...

Me, too!! I also think there was a message he was sending to someone on that plane.. I am almost positives there were lives changed that day.

B His Girl said...

Ok...I'm back trying to finish this comment. I am writing a post for Turtle Tuesdays that kind of ties into yours today. Is it ok to mention you and link? b

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

Love this! I used to work for America West (now USAirways) and my husband still does. I have had the opportunity to ride in the jumpseat in the cockpit of a 737 and it was a real eye-opener. I too, am a recovering control freak. I love the analogies you make! And I think that Sully probably said a few prayers, too!

Edie said...

Psalm 77:14 is SO perfect for what happend on flight 1549. He is the only one who performs miracles. He is my pilot. I don't know how to fly like He does.

Sue J. said...

We're only just beginning to hear the stories from this event. In these times when there is so much uncertainty and lack of faith, I think we'll be reading a lot of stories from some folks who have had their mindsets changed (or re-solidified, depending on where they were before).

When you think all your training isn't going to good purpose, you just have to look at the folks involved in this rescue. As Jesus trains us, we need to be ready to do our work, too. (And, I'm sorry, I think you tipped off a blog part 2....)

Kay Martin said...

That quick landing in the Hudson River is a great analogy about being sure we haven't booted Jesus out of the "control" pilot seat in our lives.

He set it clear that "difficult" weather and "birds flying in our air" will be present in a moment. Oh, I pray that I never take back the controls and think I have the mind and way to "fly" on my own.

Thanks for reminder.

Melanie said...

Thanks for this one, Kelly.
Melanie@Bella~Mella