Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Postman

"Neither rain, nor sleet, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." This is the unofficial motto of the US Postmaster. The thought behind the motto is that no matter what, the post office delivers.

The post office has faced competition in past years by "new" ideas. Overnight delivery by FedEx and others portrayed the post office's service as slow. Next came the facsimile (Fax) machine. Wow - that was "fast." (Remember standing over the fax machine as the document edged out.) Next came e-mail and PDF files. Instant delivery! Many people have moved on to these new ideas, but the postman continues to deliver.

The Apostle Paul wrote a letter to the Romans. In it, he created an unofficial motto for Jesus. It said "Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38, 39)

More reliable that the Postman is the love of God! It is always there. There are been new ideas through the years...new age ideas. Thoughts such as as long as you're a "good person" you'll go to heaven, regardless of your relationship with Christ. The idea that we hold the controls of the universe, and are in control of our destiny. Many people latch onto these new ideas, but Jesus continues to deliver.

Even though I enjoy the convenience of email, nothing beats receiving a hand written letter in the mail from a good friend. And nothing beats having a God who loves me so much that he didn't just send me a letter; he sent me his son. That's not delivery my friends. That is deliverance.

Psalm 3:8 -- From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people.

Romans 3:12 -- All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one."

Romans 10:9 -- That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.


Chatty Kelly

20 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I enjoyed this, K. And when you live in a place that often has inclement weather, you consider the postman's pledge a lot more seriously. The application is great.

Dorothy Champagne said...

If I might add to your analogy - The mail we get is our every day dealings with life, bills, notices, postcards - and all my 'stuff' is seen by my mailman - whom I also have a good relationship with. Mike the Mailman will say 'hi' when he drops the mail by. Jesus knows everything that's going on in our life (all the bills, all the friends, all the junk mail) and still wants a relationship with us.

This was great stuff - got me thinking :)

Sue J. said...

And the Deliverer always has a "letter" in His bag for us....whether it's Ephesians or Philippians, or book like Romans or Leviticus (aka not junk mail)!

He delivered through the worst conditions possible, too.

Mary Moss said...

Wow! This one needs to be submitted for publication! What a great application!

Kay Martin said...

Yes He is faithful no matter what. I'll look at the mail, even the dreaded junk mail, with a new thought of thanksgiving to our Lord.

The Patterson 5 said...

This was such a great message delivered on a day after a snow day that really puts it into view! Thanks for this special delivery reminding us of our deliverance! (Loved your word usage!)

Beverlydru said...

I was with you all the way through and the last line caused the message to be signed, sealed and delivered in a powerful way. Wow is right.

My ADHD Me said...

I loved that last sentence.
Need I say it again...Look up analogy in the dictionary and see your picture!

Greg C said...

I used that postmans pledge recently myself. So you like mail. Are you hinting? I like it too.

Melanie said...

I'll take Deliverance over delivery any day!
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Edie said...

The motto doesn't mention Holidays. God never takes a day off either. A great post for a very icy day my friend.

Mrs. Sidney said...

I enjoyed this picture!! Well written and enjoyable. Thanks for the reminder.. I was having a down morning and this picked me right up.

Thank you!!

Marla said...

Great analogy! Your really good! I'm sure that is a God given talent that you have been blessed with. You are so good at applying his word into all situations in our lives.

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

Hey Kelly!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
READING posts like yours tonight... SURE IS A LIFT! I'm havin withdrawals... bigtime.... Just had to drop in and say hello to my bloggy friends...
Hope you're not getting hit by the snow tonight. It looked like it on the news tonight.
Talk to ya soon!!
L

HisPrincess said...

Great analogy Kelly. You have a knack for painting pictures with words...

Enjoy your cool weather. We are still melting here.

The Patterson 5 said...

Do you want a letter? Gigi and Cici could do it? Do you want two? How about a D and a R?

Edie said...

Hey - Where's your darn letter post. lol!

Joy in The Truth said...

How funny! We had a similar post yesterday...mine was about hand-written notes!

So thankful nothing can separate us from His love...and that His Love Letter to us is Truth through and through!

Jenny said...

So true!
Jen

My ADHD Me said...

Beverly Dru wrote a post about you today! :)