Monday, December 15, 2008

Advent - Waiting

"Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, like men waiting for their master to return…. You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him." Luke 12:35-36a, 40

Waiting…what does that word mean to you? Sometimes it can be nerve-wracking, like waiting in line in the grocery store when you're in a hurry, or waiting for that phone call with the test results. Sometimes it can be exciting like waiting for your vacation or birthday. The bible says we should be ready, waiting for Jesus to come again. What exactly does that mean - - waiting?

Dictionary.com offers several different definitions to the word wait. Which definition expresses how you are WAITING for Jesus to return? The first definition is “to remain inactive until something expected happens.” Like waiting for a bus. So are you inactive, just living your life the way you want, until Jesus comes?

Another definition is “to remain neglected for a time,” like a matter that can wait. Are you neglecting Jesus, not giving a thought to him or his second coming?

The third definition is “to look forward to eagerly.” That is a great definition of the attitude we should have as we wait for Christ.

But, if you dig deeper, you’ll find some archaic or ancient definitions of the word wait. One is “to be in readiness for”…we are to be ready for the return of Christ. Do you think you’re ready? If you knew Jesus was returning tomorrow, what would you do today? Why aren’t you doing it?

Finally comes the definition “attend upon, as a sign of respect.” We should be attentive to Jesus. How? By reading his word (the Bible), praying, and following his will as a sign of our respect. That is the real meaning of waiting for Jesus to come again. So which definition of wait will you use?

And how will it define you?

Dear Lord, most of us don’t like to wait. But how often do we even give a thought to the fact that we are supposed to be waiting for your return to earth? Help change our focus, so that we can be ready and waiting when you return. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Originally published NHPC Advent Devotional - 1997, Kelly Combs, aka Chatty Kelly

Chatty Kelly

Check out my other blog at Chatty Kelly's Kids Say. It publishes every Monday.

11 comments:

Beverlydru said...

I think I go through all the different types of waiting in a cycle - and I cycle about once a week. Mercy. I make myself tired!
I'm so thankful for grace. He loves me!!

The Patterson 5 said...

I hope He finds me eagerly and readily waiting, however sometimes my attitude is not that way; which requires work. Thanks for encouragement for the daily Bible study- for me that seems to be key in keeping my attitude in check. Thankfully He loves me right where I am. Thanks for the encouragement!

My ADHD Me said...

I think it is interesting how the "ancient" or "archaic" definitions are more in touch with what the Bible says. It's almost as if over the centuries, man has done everything he can to change the meaning.

It went from "to be in readiness for", "attend upon, as a sign of respect", ....to....remain inactive and remain neglected.

It's almost as if the definition was reversed.

Kay Martin said...

Early on as a new bride of a medical student I had to learn to wait or die. We had one car and my perfectionist husband would always have to drop by for one more thing while I waited in the lobby. I learned to knit, read more and begin to write. All those items can be with you at all times.

I wait with grace because of what being John's wife forced me to learn, being mother to my children, and being caregiver to both moms. Without these life lessons that had such severe experiences I'm not sure I could ever have learned to wait in the natural as well as in the spiritual.

You're right...it's all about control. God is trustworthy....give it all to Him.

Greg C said...

I'm with you on the third definition. I hope I am as ready when the time draws near. Hmmm am I totally ready? I'm working on it and not delaying like I used to. Each day I get more and more ready. It is like getting ready to go somewhere though. I sometimes think I am totally ready but at the last minute, I remember I forgot something. I know I am beating around the bush here.

Sue J. said...

A classic devotion! I am glad that while we are waiting for His physical return that we don't have to wait for Him to hear our prayers, or attend to our hearts!

Irritable Mother said...

"to look forward to eagerly"
That's how I want my wait to be defined!

I have been looking forward to something else eagerly, too. And now the wait is over. The Dream Calendars arrived today. I'll get yours in the mail tomorrow. (Or today, if I find myself "out" again. *grin*)

On Purpose said...

Oh I am MOST definitely waiting excitedly and ready for Him to come!! I often ask..."Bring it On!"

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

I think I am the third most of the time... but I want to attend UPON!
If I knew Jesus was coming tomorrow, I would repent... (which I just did; just now.) Forgive me for ALL my sins oh Lord!- next, I would RUN.. NOT WALK... TO MY FAMILY AND SAY "Jesus is coming, ARE YOU READY?" are you SURE you're ready? Then, I'd come back home and PRAISE HIM... AND WATCH. Like a storm coming in the dark, I'd be running to every window, and door and looking out and UP!
Thank you Kelly for reminding me... that we never know when HE WILL RETURN. You just brough a CLEAR FOCUS back to my heart. I do NOT want to be found sleeping.
And thee most important thing is for us ALL to go to heaven. I know I have family members and friends who don't know Him.
THANKYOU MY FRIEND,
Lea-- sorry this is so long! But I AM NOT DELETING IT!!

Edie said...

I have to say I'm most often behind door #3, with some shuffling between #4 and #5.

Joy in The Truth (Sharon Sloan) said...

Waiting with sure hope and anticipation! Interesting, I was reading in Hebrews yesterday and my heart was impressed that "faith and patience" go hand in hand. This "waiting" post reminded me of that.

Hugs,
Sharon :)