Saturday, September 20, 2008

Which Voice Do You Believe?


Here is the song that has been speaking to me lately, for "Then Sings My Soul Saturdays" hosted by signs, miracles and wonders.

I have a voice that whispers to me. Do you? It says things like "you're not good enough." No matter whether I am trying to be a good wife, or good mother, good writer or good child of God, it continues to whisper "why are you trying, you'll never be good enough."

When I eat dessert it says "you're going to get fat." When I miss my quiet time it says "Why would God love you?" When I don't exercise it screams "lazy!" This voice continues to tell me all the things I do wrong, and reminds me of my failures.

But there is another voice. The Voice of Truth. This is the voice that says**:

You were not a mistake, for all your days are written in my book. Psalm 139:15-16

You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14

It is my desire to lavish my love on you. 1 John 3:1

I rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17

I am also the Father who comforts you in all your troubles. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

I am your Father, and I love you even as I love my son, Jesus. John 17:23

I gave up everything I loved that I might gain your love. Romans 8:31-32



The Voice of Truth is the one I will choose to listen and believe...The Voice of Truth.*


(*Voice of Truth is a song by Casting Crowns, shown below in the video. I love the message it tells, and it inspired this post.

The messages from God came from "The Father's Love Letter. It too is inspiring, if you decide to click over and take a look.)





John 8:44 -- He (the devil) was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Deuteronomy 31:6 -- Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.

John 14:6 -- Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

10 comments:

My ADHD Me said...

That little voice must be very busy (busybody I should say) as it is over here at my house too.

Great choice of Bible verses too. The encouragement is SO helpful. "I liked them! I really liked them!"

Sue J. said...

This is a season of voices vying for our attention. It's so hard to tune everything out. And it's really hard to try and teach the younger ones to hear that voice, too, as they would seem to be lost in a rock concert full of loud screaming voices.

There's a lot to say about "Being still." The Voice of Truth needs to be heard!

Anonymous said...

Just tell mom to be quiet or don't answer the phone when she calls

ET

Edie said...

I so recognize that voice. I am so thankful that God has been showing me how to place those thoughts under the authority of Jesus. I am also thankful that he has given us good friends to remind us that we are going through the same struggles and can encourage us.

...."but the voice of Truth, tells me a different story......"

Starr said...

I love the Father's Love letter! And, I adore that song! I hear those voices, too. I will choose to listen and believe what my Father says instead.
Love ya,
Starr

Susan said...

I have a personal post brewing about this very thing. Thank you for sharing your most powerful words today.

Hugs,

Susan

He And Me + 3 said...

What a beautiful post.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi..
I was just telling Edie how
the enemy, the world, and even people can play head games with us, and at times can cause confusion leaving us feeling confused.. the enemy puts such negative thoughts into our minds and really wants us to believe each one. It is such a spiritual battle daily guarding our hearts and minds. But when God speaks he is not the author of confusion, when he speaks there is a peace that passes all understanding. The bible says that we have hidden his word in
our hearts, and who is the word, the word is God, the gate keeper who keeps our minds in perfect peace when our minds are stayed on him. Thank you for your visit today it was good to see you. *smile*

Hugz Lorie

HisPrincess said...

I am my own worst enemy sometimes. Especially when it comes to listening to those voices. It's hard to switch them off, they are so insistent. Thankyou for giving me the bible verses to keep fighting them.

The Patterson 5 said...

I liked the verses too!-- and best of all, unlike the voices that tell you all of that negative stuff, the verses are true!

I felt some of those negative voices too after a discouraging day Saturday and was thinking how dull, boring, uninteresting I must be and why do I even blog--no one wants to read it.

Then while riding in the dark on the way back to our home I felt like God was hugging me and saying, I like hearing what you have to say and that's more than enough for me---in fact my cup runneth over!