Thursday, September 18, 2008

Grow Where You Are Planted, Part 2



This picture does not do the reality justice. In it you will see a utility pole (the one in the foreground behind the transformer). From the pole comes down cables that anchor the pole, and they are covered with a white plastic. Growing out of the top of the plastic is healthy, bushy plant.

The amazing thing about this, is the plant grew inside the white plastic up the pole, instead of outside. I've seen many poles covered in vines and weeds, but never growing inside of the plastic covering.

The plant must have inadvertently found its way inside the pole. The plastic held it back. It was dark and uncomfortable in there. But the plant had perseverance. It kept pushing up, with its "face" toward the sun. As long as it kept heading toward the sun, it kept growing. Finally it got out of the dark, and into the presence of the sun - and look how it bloomed and revealed its glory.

What adversity are you facing today? What is holding you back? What is keeping you in the dark? What is making you uncomfortable? Have perseverance! Keep your face toward the Son! As long as you head toward the Son, you'll keep growing. Have faith that God will bring you through the trials. After you have been brought through, then you too will bloom. And God's glory will be revealed.


Romans 5:3,4 -- Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.


James 1:2-4 -- Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.


1 Peter 4:12, 13 -- Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

17 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

How cool was that!?! I am going to share this one with the kids and then when we drive by there they can see your very determined plant! May we all be so determined to get to the Son!

Chatty Kelly said...

This wasn't supposed to post until tomorrow. ugh. I entered the wrong date. Oh well, so much for that last minute editing.

Patterson 5 - so you can tell where this is? Ha. Small world, huh? You should have seen me crossing a 3 lane road, and tromping through high, weedy grass to get this picture (Fearing bugs and snakes). And practicing what I was going to tell the police officer who was going to surely stop and ask me what I was doing. "Well you see, I am writer...."

Runner Mom said...

Wow! That was pretty cool! I plan on keeping my face towards the Son today! Glad you didn't step on any snakes trying to get that picture!
Hugs,
Susan

Anonymous said...

yeah you wrote son instead of sun

--love ya!
ET

Chatty Kelly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Chatty Kelly said...

Fixed it, thanks ET.

My ADHD Me said...

It seems to me, that lately I have been making the same comment...but, Are you talking to me?

Also, thanks to you and some of our other blogger friends, I am getting writers cramp. You keep adding these wonderful Bible verses on your posts. To be truthful (and yes, you know I have no choice but to be truthful), I used to read the posts and skim or skip the verses.

I started reading them finally and now I have had to start a journal to copy the ones that are screaming out to me. I blame you...so I Thank You.

Becoming Me said...

Wow. Excellent post and example

Sue J said...

I'm thinking this is what going through the birth canal must be like. This skinny dark chasm with some kind of light that we feel compelled to push toward. (I know; the newborns aren't the ones pushing!)

But, even that was part of the plan of God.

Another good reason to stay in the vine. Apart from Me, you may be stuck in the tube....

Bonus blog tomorrow? :-)

Mrs. Sidney said...

Thanks for speaking to my heart!!

Darlene said...

That is really neat. It reminds me of a tree now. A cool little tree.

On Purpose said...

Keeping my eyes on the Son!

HisPrincess said...

No Mary, I think she is talking to me...would you believe that I used to skip bits too? No offence Kelly, you are a fabulous writer, I think I'm saying more about my attitude than you. I'm reading all of your posts from start to finish now, and everytime you seem to be speaking specifically to me!

Chatty Kelly said...

Well, I'm glad that long ago I realized I was blogging for a Party of 1 - Jesus...cause obviously he is the only one reading it all. LOL!!

While we are having "true confessions" here - I think everyone has been known to skim a blog or two, especially when the subject matter doesn't apply to you at that time. And truth be told, you'll be here skimming again another day when I bore you. It's okay. Like you never bore me. LOL!!! Just kidding.

Just doing what I can. It's up to God to do the rest.

Beverlydru said...

Kelly, I have determnined that you are a 2 casserole kind of friend. I heard a woman teach on friendship years ago who said a true friend is the one who doesn't just come by once when you're in need, but comes again and again. So in the blog world, you are my 2 casserole friend. Thanks for all your words of encouragement.

KelliGirl said...

Kelly,
Thanks for visiting my blog. It was great to "meet" you. And thanks for the post recommended I read -- very well done and a great reminder.

Good food for thought in your post today. Even in the most oppressive circumstances we can have the victory in Jesus when we reach for Him. The picture of the bush is a remarkable visual and certainly speaks volumes.

Blessings,
"Not So Chatty" Kelli ;-)

Kim Kasch said...

Fun way to see things.

I always tell my kids that we only learn from adversity. When things are going great, we just ride the wave. But, when we're sinking, we have to look up. It's the struggles that make us strong - just like the plant growing through the pole.