Friday, May 2, 2008

What's Your Goal?

I have exciting news to share! I have been accepted for publication in a magazine! So in honor of this goal achieved, I am giving away a 1 year subscription to the Proverbs 31 Magazine. Leave me a comment and I'll randomly select a winner over the weekend and announce Monday right here on my blog!

But it makes me wonder, what are your goals? Have you set any? Are you so bogged down (or blogged down!) with day-to-day that you don't have any goals? Dictionary.com lists "purpose" as another definition for goal. What is your life's purpose?

I turned 40 in March, and started setting new goals for this new season. My 30's goals were to have kids, be a mom and my life has revolved around that. It is a blessing! But now my kids are 4 and 8, and becoming more independent. My new goal (in addition to losing 10 lbs for my 40th birthday) was to become published. I have accomplished both! My next goal is to become published again...and again...and again.

I've also failed at goals set. It seems like a constant goal is more patience with my kids. (They seem to know exactly what button to push to make me lose my patience!) I also continue to battle my mouth...THINK before you talk, THINK before you talk. It's my mantra. Oh, but I fail.

The bible tells us of another goal to set. Paul tells us in Philippians 3 that our goal should be to have a relationship with Jesus. The Message bible puts it this way "I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward - to Jesus."

I'm no expert either, but I have the same goal. To grow in and know Christ. I wish the same for you, my friends. Or as Paul puts it in Philippians 4:1 "My dear, dear friends, I love you so much. I do want the very best for you. You make me feel such joy, fill me with such pride. Don't waver. Stay on track, steady in God."

So have you set a goal? An earthy goal? A goal to know Christ? Share your thoughts or just say hi, and I'll announce the subscription winner on Monday.

6 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

Congratulations on your goals! You are well on your way! Thanks for your encouragement to strive on to our common goal in living for Christ.

Susan said...

First...love the blog! Well done.
Second...I am so jealous! Congrats on being published. I look forward to reading your story.
Finally, my daily goal is to "shine like the moon." I desire to be a reflection of the Son and to claim no light of my own. More tangible goals include getting speaking engagements, enrolling and completing a certificate program for Christian counseling, and losing weight and getting more physically fit.

Anonymous said...

CONGRAYS!! I am SO proud of you!!!
MJT

Anonymous said...

Opps. I meant CONGRATS NOT CONGRAYS!! I must have been thinking about our earlier conversation. haha
MJT

Anonymous said...

Luke 9:23
If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. What is a man benefited if he gains the whole world, yet loses or forfeits himself?
Luke 6:24
Woe to the Self-Satisfied-
But woe to you who are rich, because you have received your comfort. Woe to you who are full now, because you will be hungry. Woe to you who are laughing now, because you will mourn and weep. Woe to you when all people speak well of you, because this is the way their ancestors used to treat the false prophets.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your publication! Your sisters in Christ are so proud of you.
GS