Monday, April 28, 2008

I am With Child

Now before anyone gets too excited about my title line, I better explain myself. I think the bible was first in using this term to describe a pregnant woman. In the NIV version of the bible, it first uses the term in Genesis and uses it seven more times throughout the bible to describe pregnant women.
But anyone with preschoolers knows that you are more WITH child after they are born. In the grocery store, I am with child. In the bathroom, I am with child. And even in the middle of the night, I often wake up with child...child wanting water, needing the bathroom or to be tucked in.

So today I thought I'd share some of the fun and funny moments of being with child - a 4 year old child.

Friday at the grocery store she saw these tiny bananas. She exclaimed "Look at these baby bananas. They must have just been born." Ironically, when I looked for the tag to tell you what they are called, they were indeed labeled Baby Bananas, but they are also called oritos.

A few aisles later, I was checking out the canned goods, with my eyes off of her for no more than 3 seconds, when I hear a loud crash of breaking glass. There she stands in front of the biggest glass jar of applesauce they make, which is shattered on the floor.

"I didn't mean to do that." she calmed stated. I simply found one of the cashiers, and I kid you not, I looked him right in the eye and said "clean up on aisle 3." He saw that I was "with child" and just turned on his microphone and announced "Clean up on aisle 3!" (I did apologize as well).

Here are some other funny quotes and mis-quotes that come from being with child:
When I told her to behave she answered "I am being hav."

Singing: "Who built the ark? No-one No-one" (the actual lyric is of course: Noah, Noah)

"I obey myself." - She just piped up with this one from the backseat one day when we were driving down the road.

"I have a little dog barking in my heart." This is another original thought she just piped out with. I have no idea why. She then said "I like little dogs."

But my favorite quote was when we were driving home from preschool one day and say said to me, "Mama, Jesus came into my room last night." I responded "He did?!" and she said "yes, and he stayed with me all night so I wouldn't be afraid of the dark."

I believe Jesus did just that. Matthew 11:25 says "At that time Jesus said, 'I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.' " Jesus speaks of having to be like children to get into heaven, and not hindering children from him. I believe on that night he gave comfort to my little girl.

It is never a dull moment, when you are "with child." I often think I am learning as much from her, as she is from me. But, I'm still not sure about that little dog barking in her heart.

7 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

Wow! I nearly dropped my coffee cup with the excitement of the title! It is truly humbling and a blessing to be "with child". They teach us as much as they learn! Thanks for a great start to today!

Sue said...

Truth be told, there is a song (I know Laurie Berkner does a version) called "There's a Little Wheel a-Turning in My Heart" and one of the verses is "There's a little dog barking in my heart (arf! arf!)." And later, "There are some kids sleeping in my heart." And I'm glad yours found Jesus that night.

Though, it makes you wonder why He leaves us with child on those other nights. But, there is a reason....

(Can't believe you had your camera! Thanks for not only keepin' in real but for makin' it real for us this morning!)

Chatty Mom said...

Well, Sue solved the mystery of the little dog, but it was much cuter when I thought it was a random thought rather than a song. Oh well.

As for the camera, I have finally found a use for that very thing on my cell phone. At least I used it for once, so now I am getting my moneys worth!

Alyce said...

Hey there..
Our children hold us accountable to so much as well. I get in battles w/ my 7 year old sometimes and the things I fuss at her about, the Holy Spirit whispers to me that I need to shut right up and take a look in the mirror!
Ironically, my tshirt today reads: Who are these children, and why are they calling me MOM?
Have a great day..
Blessings~Alyce

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly. I love reading your blogs. They always make me smile. Guess what, I finally learned how to send a comment. Before long I'll figure out how to put you on my desktop. yea!!
Referring to your White Lies blog, I think that when your husband said he forgot the potato salad was one of the nicest things I've heard in a long time. I know your dad (as a matter of fact, I've known him for about 4 years longer than you have---since I'm your older sister) and I know that you are correct that potato salad would have been the talk of the evening. Not how yummy the sweet potato casserole that you brought tasted, not the wonderful stuff our sister made and not even the drinks that I spent hours making (ok, another white lie---I brought canned drinks)---everyone knows cooking isn't exactly my thing. Anyway, your husband definately did a sweet thing.BTW, you handled things great too. As most family functions are, it was a stressful day. But it was fun getting together too. SMILE!! M

Sonya said...

What a great analogy, "with child". As a mom of 6 I think I will just move from "with child" to "have grandkids" one day! I am so blessed to have the kids to learn from and to teach. Psa 127:4 Like a warrior's fistful of arrows are the children of a vigorous Youth. Oh, how blessed are you parents, with your quivers full of children! Your enemies don't stand a chance against you; you'll sweep them right off your doorstep.

Bonita said...

You need to make this into an article my friend. The title is fabulous, as is the meaning. You could do an article about the trials and the joys of always having children with you. Another article could be the funny things you shared in your post. This one has lots of potential for writing a wide variety of things from this one idea and publishing in multiple venues. Hey, it might even make a great book! It immediately caught my attention as publishable material.