Friday, May 9, 2008

Party of 1, Part 3

This week's focus has been on my serving God. Today I'd like you to think about how you are serving God. What is your gift? Romans 12:6 says we all have different gifts according to the grace given us. They include serving, teaching, encouraging, giving, leadership, and mercy. It then goes on to encourages us to use our gifts.

We are also blessed with the gift of talents. Music, writing, cooking...the list is endless. One of my friend Sue's many talents is playing bells. I encourage you to view this link of her bell solo. You will be filled with joy of seeing God's gift used to his glory. It is amazing.

But what if you feel like your gift isn't as great as all that? In 1 Corinthians 12 we learn that different gifts are all important. The feet are as important as the hands to the body. So each gift is important to the body of believers. So what is your gift? If you're not sure, try this spiritual gifts on line quiz. It can point you in the right direction.

It is important to know your gifts and talents, so that you too can be doing the good works that God prepared in advance for you to do. There is quote that says "look out for number 1." I encourage you to, yes, look out for Number 1 - the number 1 God and creator that is indeed looking out for you. "The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forever more." Psalm 121: 8

Jesus quoted Deut. 6:13 in Matt 4:11 and Luke 4:8 , when he said "Worship the Lord your God and serve him only." Are you serving a party of 1?

6 comments:

Bonita said...

"Serving a party of 1". Hmmm...that would make a great title for something don't you think? Article? Devotion?

Okay, I'm operating in my gifts, one of which is encouraging writers! I think, Kelly, that your blog is wonderful and you should keep writing and writing. But I don't think it's the sum total of the writing that you will do. I bet God has more "prepared" for you in that arena.

But in the mean time, I really enjoy reading what you have to say. Very inspiring and downright helpful in life!

Sonya said...

Thanks for this Kelly, I took the online spiritual gift test and it was fun! I scored highest in teaching and exhorting. The interesting thing is that many years ago I took a similar test and exhorting was high but teaching wasn't that high. I am sure as we are constantly changing and growing so too are our spiritual gifts. I would love to know how you tested out?

Chatty Kelly said...

My gifts were:
exhorting 15
leadership 15

and secondly were:
teaching 13
prophecy 13

-Kelly

Anonymous said...

Here's my gift to you:

The only thing that matters when life comes to an end, to those who have already chosen to be believers in Jesus, is the final question Jesus will ask ALL of us. The question that will determine where we spend eternity (even if we thought we had served him well).....How much money did you give the church?.....no. How many bible studies did you lead?.....no. How many people did you encourage?....believe it or not,... no. It is not even how many people did you lead to the Lord(although that absolutely matters)...no! The final question will be "when I was hungry did you feed me, when I was thursty did you give me something to drink, when I was stranger did you take me in, clothe me, care for me when I was sick, visit me in prison?" "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for me"Matthew 25:31-46. This will determine if we go away into eternal punishment or eternal life. HMMMMMMMMMMMM

Chatty Kelly said...

Romans 10:9-13 "That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

EVERYONE who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved...no believers in Jesus will go on to eternal punishment. While all believers shall be judged on the last day, all BELIEVERS shall receive eternal life, not punishment.

Some will just receive larger rewards. "For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done." Matt 16:27

Alyce said...

Hi there..
I am going to try to make a black eyed pea salsa soon, my husband has requested it. I decided to just leave you a msg back on your blog instead of mine.
I am not going to the She Speaks conference. I think its just that one weekend in June, right?? I wanted to go to Deeper Still in Atlanta but that didn't work out either. Oh well..next year!
Alyce