Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Tale of the Running Man


Once there was a man who loved to run.  In running he felt alive, and free.  It was effortless and so he ran often. People loved to watch the man run.  They could see his joy, and knew it was a gift from God, so they would cheer the man on, “Run!”  And he ran.

People encouraged the man to run races and he did.  Sometimes he won, but mostly he did not.  But the people didn’t care, and neither did the man.  He loved running, and the people loved seeing him, so the joy was in the running. and in the race.  It wasn’t about winning.

One day the man was in an accident and he was uncertain if he would ever walk again.  But he did!  And he was happy, just to be alive. He would be out on his afternoon strolls, and people would yell, “Run!” as they once did before.  The man would just smile, and wave, and continue on his stroll.

Occasionally the man would be able to sprint just a bit.  But it wasn’t like before.  No longer was it effortless.  And the fulfillment wasn’t the same.  He had survived, and just walking gave him joy now.  It wasn’t that he couldn’t run.  But he was satisfied to walk. 

It had been 3 years since the accident, and still people wondered why the man didn’t run.  They loved to see him run, he had loved running, and most of all, God had gifted him with running.  But the man didn’t feel the call to run as he once did.  He walked. He strolled.  Sometimes on a really good day, he might jog.  And he was thankful for every single step.

The man didn’t know if he would ever run again, like he once had, but it didn’t concern him.  He was still in God’s loving hands as he had always been.  God wasn’t calling the man to run anymore. 

One day, God may call the man to run again.  But until that time, the man walks.  He walks with the Lord.  There is peace in the walk. 

**

I am the runner in the story…except I write.  The accident was my late husband’s death. And for now, I no longer write.  I know that people want me to write because it brought them joy, and it brought me joy.  But I am no longer the same person.

I don’t know if I will ever write again, like I once did, but it doesn’t concern me.  I am still in God’s loving hands as I have always been.  God isn’t calling me to write anymore. 

One day, God may call me to write again.  But until that time, I walk with the Lord.  There is peace in the walk. 

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens.  Ecclesiastes 3:1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. That is an extremely smartly written article.
I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read
more of your useful information. Thank you for the post.
I will definitely return.