Tuesday, September 17, 2013

When You Need Help


I don't accept help well. And I wouldn't dream of asking for it. I'm like a stubborn 2 year old, trying desperately to put on her shoes, screaming and crying, yet responding to her parent's offer to help, "I do it myself!" 

But I've come to realize my prideful refusals don't benefit me, and aren't biblical. I love this story in Exodus. Our hero, Moses, is holding up his arms to God, so that his army will win. But his arms get tired, heavy and he can't hold them up anymore. So what does he do? He sits down, and allows his friends to hold him up.

The Amalekites came and attacked the Israelites at Rephidim. Moses said to Joshua, “Choose some of our men and go out to fight the Amalekites. Tomorrow I will stand on top of the hill with the staff of God in my hands.”
So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset. So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword. Exodus 17:8-13

Moses doesn't hesitate to accept the help his friends offer. And as a result, they win the battle. 

Even Jesus, perfect Jesus, counted on his friends to help in times of trouble. He didn't go to the garden to pray alone when his heart was heavy. He invited his friends to go and pray with him. Yes, they did fall asleep and let him down, but he forgives them. Even after Peter denies Jesus, Jesus still asks Peter, his friend, for help. "Peter, feed my sheep."

When life sends trouble your way, follow the examples of Moses. Sit down. Accept help. Focus on God. It's okay to let you friends hold you up so that you can win life's battles

Then follow the example of Jesus. Pray. And ask your friends to pray with and for you. And even when you pray "Father, take this cup away from me," follow Jesus' example and conclude with, "not my will but yours be done." The road that follows may be hard and painful. But it's the road that leads to eternal life.

Kelly Combs is a Christian wife, mom, writer and speaker. You can learn about Kelly by visiting her website at www.kellycombs.com

Chatty Kelly

No comments: