Monday, July 30, 2012

What Would You Give Up to Win?


The Olympics have started. I love watching the events, the feel good vignettes, and even the Olympic commercials. While the Visa commercials have been my favorite Olympic commercials through the years, this year Citi has some great ones.

My favorite commercial is here. (If you are reading my blog via email, you may have to visit my blog at www.chattykelly.com to see the actual commercial.) 



Some of the lines from the commercial include "I haven't ordered dessert in two years." and "I haven't watched TV since last summer." When you think about the time spent training, and all the items that these athletes give up, it's staggering. Yet, I'm sure none of them say, "Boy, I wish I would have watched more TV and eaten more dessert" when standing on the medal stand.

As followers of Christ, there are some things that we must give up. Some of the things may seem pleasurable,  like dessert to an Olympic athlete. Yet, when we are disciplined and obedient to God's word, we will succeed.

The Apostle Paul said, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." (1 Cor. 9:24-25)

I am thankful for grace and mercy. But I can't just lay on the couch and expect to get a medal. I must run in a such a way to get the prize. I must live my life actively for Christ.

Are you living in such a way to win the race? It takes hard work and dedication. And yes, we have to give up some worldly things. But at the end of our race, we won't just get a gold medal. We'll spend eternity on the streets of gold, with our heavenly Father; a crown that will last forever. Run to win.

Question: The Olympic athletes all have trainers and coaching. Are you keeping godly people in your life to train, coach and hold you accountable to walk the Christian walk, and run to get the prize?
Kelly Combs is a Christian wife, mom, writer and speaker. You can learn about Kelly by visiting her website at www.kellycombs.com

Chatty Kelly

4 comments:

Sue J said...

Our sermon series at church this summer is "The Cost of Discipleship." Your post falls right in with that. Great Olympic tie-in, too!....

MelanieClarkDorsey said...

Amen! I've been thinking along the same lines lately. It is costly to be a Christ follower, to be a disciple of the Lord. It's really not a life we should ever sell as easy or cheap.
Good writing, Kelly!

Kari Scare said...

The topic of accountability has been coming to the forefront so much for me lately. Not only have I found a spiritual accountability partner, but I am seeing a friend closing herself off to accountability. Having godly people in your life is crucial to a successful race. An Olympian would not dare go to the Olympics without a coach, Christians should not try to live without one either.

Dayna Renee Hackett Bickham said...

Your blog is so inspiring I nominated it for the Inspiring Blogger Award. Check out the guidelines here: http://ayearinthespirituallife.blogspot.com/2012/08/accolades-for-year-in-spiritual-life.html.

If you want to display your award, just copy the button from my page and post it on your site with a link back to the person who nominated you. Then, pay it forward. Congratulations! You Inspire Me!