Monday, February 13, 2012

Blow Gently

I was blowing bubbles with my daughter the other night. As we took turns, I noticed that when I blew, lots of bubbles would come out of the wand. Yet on her turn it seemed only a few bubbles would come out. Each time I heard her "Pffffft" as she blew with all her might with little results. Then I let her in on a little secret. You get more bubbles if you blow gently, than if you blow hard.

It reminded me of the Biblical principal, evangelism. Evangelism is the preaching of the Gospel. It is telling people about Jesus. But over the years, I've learned that if you "blow gently" you get more interest than if you "blow hard."

This principal is clearly stated in 1 Peter 3:15b, "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." We are called to be prepared to give an answer to everyone, (blowing). We are to make sure that we keep ourselves filled with the "bubble juice" of Gospel so we are ready to blow. But we are cautioned to do this with gentleness. Blow gently.

There are people out there just waiting to learn about Jesus. It's our job to share the message! But we don't force it on people; we gently share it and let the Holy Spirit do His work in them. We don't convert people. We simply share the message, and the Holy Spirit does the rest. So remember, blow gently. Because nobody likes a blow hard!

Kelly Combs is a Christian wife, mom, writer and speaker. You can learn about Kelly by visiting her website at www.kellycombs.com

Chatty Kelly

6 comments:

Leslie Johnson said...

Clever last line Kelly! I had to learn this lesson regarding my husband...I learned I couldn't force my beliefs and convictions on him. I just had to live them and let him observe, and he eventually got it. Isn't wonderful how God makes his point through seemingly simple events like blowing bubbles?!

Judith roberts said...

Very cool analogy. =)

Kelly Combs said...

Thanks, Judith.

Kelly Combs said...

Thank you Leslie. I am so glad to see you back on the blog. Your comment reminded me of the words of Mother Theresa, "Teach the gospel where ever you go. When necessary, use words."

Alyssa Santos said...

no one usually trusts a blowhard, either! That is one of my favorite verses!

Sharon Sloan said...

Love it!!! :)