Thursday, November 3, 2011

Speaking the truth in...laughter!

Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. Eph 4:15

You've probably heard the above verse about speaking the truth in love. Well this week someone spoke the truth to me...in laughter!  It seems my pastor was stalking me on facebook reading through the scrolling timeline on facebook, and saw I had commented on a video entitled "Should Christians participate in Halloween?" The video talked about how our culture is becoming desensitized to evil, and I commented, "The desensitizing toward evil (vampires particularly) is already happening or happened."

Seeing my comment, my pastor watched the video. He commented how the most interesting thing about the video was the "Elvira" beside it.  I was confused.  I had watched the video but I hadn't seen it.  "Not in the video, beside it," he laughed.  After I moment, I realized he meant me!  Embarrassingly enough, I had changed my profile photo for Halloween to one of me in 1998, where I'd won a costume contest.  This is the photo:




When I realized what he was talking about I couldn't help but laugh. He was laughing too, and said he literally laughed out loud at the irony.  He than said jokingly, "Hypocrite!" I laughed too, but indeed he was speaking the truth (in laughter).

As I mentioned on my blog on Monday, I am conflicted about Halloween.  My pastor (who readily admits to being a hypocrite as well) made a great point that if we turn everything over to the devil for evil, then evil abounds.  But if we reclaim and redeem things, we can make them for good.  Halloween is a controversial subject, and I certainly do not have all the answers!  But I am thankful for a pastor who speaks the truth in laughter.

It is a delicate balance to be in the world, but not "of" the world. To be a light to the darkness, we have to step toward the darkness. But we cannot become the darkness, but rather shine the light of God there. And as Christians I think we sometimes get so stuck on Oct 31st, that we forget the evil that is happened the other 364 days of the year. Even in looking at my own life, dressing up for Halloween is one of the least sinful things I have done. I am thankful for a God who redeemed and reclaimed me!

So, when do we stand and fight? When do we redeem? When do we boycott? All we can do is pray for wisdom in our decision making, and mercy when our decisions are wrong.

How do you balance being in the world, but not of it? And who can you gently speak the truth to today, perhaps even in laughter?


Chatty Kelly

4 comments:

Sharon Sloan said...

Thankful for pastors who care in love and keep us accountable....in truth and humor! :)

You know how we feel about 10/31 -- letting our lights shine!

Tracy said...

I think this is probably one of my favorite posts. Your...my...our pastor rocks (and so do you).

Lea said...

You have a wonderful heart Kelly!
I too loved this post. The honesty of it, ... the LOVE, and yes the laughter. Your Pastor is a blessing and SO ARE YOU!

Melanie said...

How funny! I laughed as I read this the 2nd time to my household. Good one.