Monday, October 24, 2011

Love Notes

Last Friday I went out of town for the women's retreat where I spoke. But before I left, I did what I always do when I go away overnight. I left my family love notes.

Whenever I need to travel overnight, I get an old eye pencil I keep just for this use, and I write notes on their mirrors. For my girls, I write something I love about them, a term of endearment I call them, an area I want them to work on, and "I love you." I might say, "I love you ladybug, you are special and kind, Be compassionate." I include hearts and drawings (perhaps of a ladybug, etc.) I also leave a love note for my husband on his bathroom mirror.

The purposes of my notes are many. I want them to remember me and think about me when I'm not with them. I want them to know of my love for them. I want them to have guidance, even in my absence.

As I was sharing this with a woman at the retreat, it occurred to me that the Bible is just like God's love note to us. He wrote it so we would think of him while we are not with him (in heaven). He wrote it so we would know of his love for us. He wanted us to have guidance, even in his absense.

My family views these love notes in a special way, and leave them up on the mirrors for long periods of time even after I'm home. Because they love me as much as I love them.

Do we love God that much?

Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land the LORD swore to give your ancestors, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth. Deut 11:18-21


Chatty Kelly

6 comments:

Melanie said...

That's such a sweet idea...especially to leave it when they see themselves.

Penny said...

That is so sweet. =) What a great idea!

Karen Smith-Will said...

What a great way for your family to remember that they're important to you! I'll have to try that some time...that is, if I can find a spare eye pencil! :-D

You're right, those "love notes" from God are awesome. And sometimes, it's fascinating to see how He's left them right under our nose, even though we've missed them the 1st or 2nd time we might have seen them.

Jennifer Dougan said...

Kelly,

What a great idea! I might copy you in that. Thank you.

Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com

Jeanette Levellie said...

Oh, I wish I had thought of this when my kids were little, although I do more travelling now that they're gone from home. But I can do this for my DH--he'll love it, especially if accompanied by chocolates!

Yes, I do think God's word to us is a great big love note.

Jeanette Levellie said...

Kelly: Wish you had a share button at the end of your posts, so I could reTweet them or share on FB! This one is a keeper.