Monday, August 1, 2011

Being Small for Jesus

Have you ever thought "I want to be BIG for Jesus!" I must admit, I have! I want to write books, and speak to conferences and be BIG for Jesus. But what if Jesus is calling me to be small?

At the recent conference I attended, they put on a great skit. The woman in the skit received a gift from Jesus, a mini-coke. She loved her gift, until she saw her friend had received a 12 oz coke. She begged Jesus to also have the 12 oz coke. "But I picked your gift especially for you, because I love you." Jesus told her. She still wanted the 12 oz coke. Then another friend came by with a 20 oz coke. Now she was really mad at Jesus!

At that point Jesus gave her a 12 oz coke, "just like you asked me for, because I love you." But now the 12 oz wasn't enough, and again she was discontent. And the look on her face when the woman with 2 liter coke came on stage? Priceless!

What if God is calling me to be a mini-coke? What if my blog, and my devotional additions to compilation books are what he is calling me for? What if speaking to 50 ladies is all he wants from me?

In the parable of the sower, Jesus tells about the seeds that fall on the fertile soil. "But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.” (Matt 13:23)

Notice that all the good soil did not produce the same crops. While all the seeds were on good soil, some groups produced a hundred, some sixty, and some thirty times what was sown. What if God is only calling me to a crop yield of 30?

Can I be happy with that? Can I be content? Am I willing to be small for Jesus, if that is what he is calling me to do?

What is Jesus calling you to be? And even if it small, or you willing to do it? We must, if we are to ever find contentment. So I keep spreading the seeds, as he has called me to do. And the crop, well I won't know that until it grows. But may I praise him for it, no matter what the bounty is.

Chatty Kelly

9 comments:

Sharon Sloan - Joy In The Truth said...

"I have learned the secret of being content...whether living in plenty or in want...I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil. 4:12-13

You can be a mini coke -- or a case of coke-- whichever He desires, sister! :)

I LOVED this skit!!! Really taught a great scriptural truth.

Hugs to you...you sparkly, bubbly Coke!
Sharon

Gwen S said...

I think of this often in our calling as mothers. Sometimes we're called to big things, and yet most of the time it is the many little things that make a difference over time.

Blessings to you as you consider what God is calling you to do!

Bonita said...

Love the Coke illustration! I think sometimes it's now always a desire for the big that happens when we see what others are doing, but a feeling of inadequacy, as if God doesn't trust us or find us capable of bigger things. Not that I've ever felt that way. No, not ever, not me. haha

Sue J. said...

It all points to Who is in charge and Who is the One responsible for the outcomes? If I direct and take charge and feel myself worthy of larger prizes (sizes?!), then I had best watch what will come next. (A jigger of Coke. Thanks a lot, Jesus....)

"It's all about You....
It's all about You...."

Like the parable of the talents, what are we doing for our Master with what He has given? Let us invest, but let us remember that we are serving the One who gave us the talent to begin with. In Him, we find blessing, not in the outcome (not in the size).

Bloom where you are planted. Take that 12 ounces and pass it on to someone who needs a thirst-quenching experience. Who knows--but Him alone--what you will receive next. Jesus as a soda jerk. It's an interesting metaphor, for sure....

Rachel @ The Lazy Christian said...

I think I need to see myself as a 2-liter no matter what other people have. God's gifts especially for me can be used in a BIG way if I just let him work!

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

I loved that skit! It was so true. I will remember it for years to come - especially when I'm feeling like someone else has a 2-iter and I have a mini-coke. LOL

Jenn said...

I loved the reminder of the skit. What a powerful skit that was. In fact.. I wrote several times on my post today how in the awesome community I have of bible study ladies that is my joy to teach it started out small.. 4 people (2 of them my own family members) and now God has grown it to 20 but I would not trade the small for anything in the world.. God takes small and makes BIG. that was theme that really stuck out to me at she speaks. Thanks for a great post.

Connie Nylund said...

I could SEE the illustration even not being there! Thanks for sharing!

Irritable Mother said...

YES!
If we asre called to be small, and we try to be big, seems like we'll end up being mostly empty. I mean, it fits with the visualization of the coke bottles. ;o)
It's just better to trust Him, and follow His lead.