Monday, October 18, 2010

Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places

"I was looking for love in all the wrong places,
Looking for love in too many faces."
Looking for Love, Johnny Lee, 1980


The Bible tells us the true definition of love. God is love. "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." (1 John 4:10)

Unfortunately, too often we go looking for love in all the wrong places, looking for love in too many faces. We try to find love through our spouses, our children, our friends. We try to get our needs met and fulfilled by others. God has wired us to want to love and be loved. But perfect love only comes from God. We can't have that need met anywhere else, no matter how many faces we go to, looking for love.

Or maybe you aren't looking for love through people, but through accolades. Whether it's awards, compliments, accomplishments, or (in my case) publications, we look for things to value our worth and convince us that we are lovable.

You are not only lovable, but you are loved. God loves you so much. Don't be like the singer and go "Looking for love in all the wrong places." You only need to look to God to find true love. And then you'll discover another heart, looking for love.

Psalm 33:18 -- But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love.

Musical Musings:
1. Are you looking for love from family and friends to meet your needs, rather than from God?
2. Are you looking for love from accomplishments, to fill your needs to be found of worth?
3. Do you believe that God sent Jesus to die FOR YOU because you are lovable, and he loves you?

Karaoke:
Dear Lord -You love us so much! Yet, I know that I have trouble believing it sometimes. Why would you love me? How could you love me? Thank you, Lord, that you find me to be worthy of your love, through Jesus. Help me to believe in that worth and to not go looking for love anywhere but to you. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Rock On:
Enjoy the song "How He Loves Us" by the David Crowder Band, by watching the video here on my blog, or click this link to the youtube video if you receive this post via email. Listen to the words, as you rejoice in "oh, how he loves us!"



Chatty Kelly

7 comments:

KelliGirl said...

Kelly,
You're taking me waaaay back to middle school and the movie Urban Cowboy! Was I ever looking for love in the wrong places back then!
Great analogy for finding the true source of love.

And I LOVE "How He Loves Us!"

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

Fabulous word today my friend. We need to remember that God is love and He is the only one that can ever satisfy our longing for love - ever!

How He Love Us and David Crowder are one of my favorites of all times!

KrippledWarrior said...

Were you even born yet in 1980? Your words are strong and they ring with the power of truth. When looking for LOVE I like 1 Corinthians 13...

CPT said...

Flows very well, very well done. And is very strong. A little bit different from many of your others. This one starts out very quick to the message and gets even quicker to a "closing" last sentence that is a grabber type closer. I like it alot. Very powerful meaning to me.

My ADHD Me said...

Wow. Reminding me what Jesus did for Me. You would think we would all be perfect because of gratitude. Thank God (literally) for forgiveness and worthiness.

Tracy Thomas said...

Thanks, Kelly! This is SO true!

Sue J. said...

Echoing others' opinions here--Really like what that David Crowder Band song says....

Got totally burnt on the Johnny Lee song, however.

Love like God has for us is hard to fathom and impossible to demonstrate as Christ did. But the longing for it draws us and keeps us near to Him.