Monday, August 16, 2010

You've Got a Friend

When your down and troubled And you need a helping hand,
And nothing, whoa nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest nights.
You just call out my name, And you know where ever I am
I'll come running, oh yeah baby To see you again.
Winter, spring , summer, or fall,All you have to do is call
And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah. You've got a friend.
You've Got A Friend, James Taylor, 1971


I love this song by James Taylor. Truth is, I could have put the entire song here, and referenced every word as if they were coming from Jesus. He is our friend.

There are so many Christian songs that make this point. What a Friend We Have in Jesus and Redeemer, Savior, Friend are two that readily come to mind.

I love to think of Jesus as a friend. A friend is someone who knows you inside and out, and likes you anyway. I love the lyric in Redeemer, Savior, Friend that says "He's familiar with my weakness, devoted to the end." In other words, Jesus loves us even while we are still sinners!

In the James Taylor song, we hear "Winter, spring, summer or fall, all you have to do it call." Jesus is always there for us, all we have to do is call out his name, and he'll come running. He illustrates this for us in the prodigal son parable. The young man left his family, but as he returns home to ask forgiveness, his Father runs out to meet him, while he was still far away.

Just like that Bible story, Jesus is there to run out to meet us when we are far away. John 15:14, 15 states, "You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you." Winter, spring, summer or fall, all we have to do is call, and He'll be there. We've got a friend!

Musical Musings:
1. How do you feel differently thinking about Jesus as a friend, versus as a judge? Why is friend more likely to give us a second chance?
2. Think of all the qualities of a best friend. Realize that Jesus loves you more than any human friend could.
3. Do you believe Jesus is always just a "call" away? Why or why not?

Karaoke:
Dear Lord - thank you for being my friend! Thank you for knowing me, and for loving me in spite of everything you know. Help me to be a better friend to my friends and to let them see you through me. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Rock on:
Read the story of the prodigal son in Luke 15:11-32.

You've Got a Friend video:



Chatty Kelly

2 comments:

Rebecca (me!) said...

Friendship has been on my heart lately....and this song was at the top. One thing I have been working hard to remember...Jesus is truly my friend. He will never hurt me, only love me! It's hard for me when a friend hurts me or I hurt them...I want to run and hide from them. But, Jesus pulls me back through his love and friendship! Thank you for this beautiful post!

Beverlydru said...

I love this song and am so thankful for friends like you that I've met through blogging. I can enjoy an unhurried sharing of thoughts whenever - 6 in the morning or the middle of the night.

Have a wonder~filled week.