Monday, August 2, 2010

I Am, I Said

"I am," I cried. "I am," said I.
And I am lost, and I can't even say why
Leavin' me lonely still.

I Am...I Said, Neil Diamond, 1971

I am lost, and I can't even say why, leaving me lonely still. Neil Diamond's 1971 hit can describe the way life feels sometimes. We are lost. We don't know why, except that we all are sinners, lost and lonely. The song continues, "But I got an emptiness deep inside, And I've tried, but it won't let me go."

Do you have an emptiness inside? There is one who can help to fill it. "'I am' I said." I AM. Do you know who THE I AM is? When Moses was sent by God to go to the Pharaoh to let the Israelites go, Moses asked whom he should say sent him. God answered, I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

"I AM," He said. So that we don't have to be lonely still.

In John 18, when the soldiers came to arrest Jesus to crucify him, He asked them who they were looking for. They answered, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus responded, "I AM he." The Bible says, "When Jesus said, "I AM he," they drew back and fell to the ground." Why do you think they fell to the ground? They came to arrest Jesus and he said he was Jesus. Why would that cause them to fall?

Have you considered that when Jesus responded, "I AM," that he was telling him that he was THE I AM. Saying He was God, which caused them to fall to the ground in fear and shock. It's something to consider. Jesus has seven self-descriptions he introduced by "I AM." In 8:58, he states, "Before Abraham was born, I am!" Notice, he didn't say, I was, but I AM!

Are you feeling lost, lonely or empty, consider the words of God. "I AM." He is the one who is, who was, and who is to come.

Musical Musings:
1. When you are down, does it make you feel better to know that God, the I AM is always there? He always is. Why or why not?
2. Jesus declared that he too was I AM. And he experienced everything we do; hurt, rejection, pain and suffering. Knowing that our God, I AM, experienced this things as incarnate man, does that make you better able to relate to him?
3. If you don't know who he is, spend some time with I AM today in prayer. Ask him to show himself to you.

Karaoke:
Lord, you are the I AM. You are the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Thank you for always being there. Fill me with your presence, so I will know you are there, even in the hard times. Help me believe you are, forever and ever. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Rock on:
Research all the times that Jesus made an "I AM" statement in the Bible. Try Biblegateway, or google it. What are the different statements and how did Jesus use them to expand on who He is as God?


Chatty Kelly

10 comments:

Beth in NC said...

I have always thought the reason the men fell back was because of God's power. Just the power when Jesus said, "I AM" literally thrust them back.

I am in desperate need of Jesus and I am grateful He died for me.

Bless you today!
Beth

Vashti said...

Hey!!!!!! I havent commeneted for AGES! Was so happy to see your comment on my blog. We havent offically adopted Cindy. But she is living with us full time and we are working on it! Her parents died from AIDS 6 years ago and her grandmother is also very sick. She has moved in with us so that we can get her to a good school. She has lived with us for 2 years now.
xxx

Scott said...

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the great post. Here are a few of the "I AM" statements that I found.
Matt. 11:29 – I AM gentle and humble in heart
John 6:35 – I AM the Bread of Life
John 8:12 – I AM the Light of the World
John 8:23 – I AM from above…I AM not of this world
John 10:7 – I AM the Gate for the Sheep
John 10:11 – I AM the Good Shepherd
John 11:25 – I AM the Resurrection and the Life
John 14:6 – I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life
John 15:1 – I AM the True Vine
Revelation 1:17-18 – I AM the First and the Last, and the Living One; and I was dead and behold, I AM alive forevermore
Revelation 22:16 – I AM the Root and Offspring of David, the Bright Morning Star

I hope you have a really awesome day!

Scott

Cindy Currier said...

Of all of your devo posts, this one so far is my favorite. There is so much in it. I will resist the urge to wax philosophical though and just say, thanks for a great post.

2Thinks said...

John 4:26 What will you do with the great I Am?

I claim him as my own.

Great post! And thanks for your kind words on mine yesterday. I appreciate that.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

In spite of the Neil reference, this is a great post. lol. I added you to my Google home page, so I hope to be more regular again here.

John said...

Wow, Kelly
I really enjoyed your post today. I don't even know how I happened upon it but it touched a nerve for me. I am not really a church goer but you are not a preacher. I think that is what I like so much about your site. Thanks, keep up the good news.
Jay

Susan said...

A great post as usual! Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog about LG. I am thrilled that she is joining our family.

:-) Hugs,

Susan

Mocha with Linda said...

How's your sister doing? I bet monkeys aren't too funny right now...

Sue J. said...

Lost between two shores.... I think, on earth, we drift back and forth between two shores. Thanks be to God for being the I AM, who seeks and saves the lost!

Never understood this song back in '71, but I'll always remember Neil's passionate vocals. Were we only so passionate about serving Him....all the time!