Friday, July 23, 2010

Despicable Me

I took my girls to the movie this week. We saw "Despicable Me." It was a cute movie. An evil villain is trying to steal a shrink ray, so he can shrink, then steal the moon. Along the way he decides to adopt three little girls to use as a decoy in his scheme. But as the plot thickens, we learn the reason the villain, Gru, is evil.

Try as he might, he could never be good enough to please his mom. When good enough never worked, he tried bad enough. What Gru really wanted is love and acceptance. And when those three little girls, the decoys, love him and see him as a potential father, not despicable, he is changed.

The movie made me consider Despicable ME! I too had a mom I could never be good enough for. Luckily I never turned into an evil villain, although I did have my share of despicable-ness (a word I think I just coined). I too was changed by love, the love of God.

With Jesus, I don't have to be good enough. Jesus was good enough for me. The Bible says that while I was still a sinner, he loved me. He loved us. And His goodness fills the voids that my "nice tries" leave.

At the end of the movie, Gru is changed. Not despicable anymore, he is a father loved by his three children. And being a "happily ever after" kids movie, Gru's mom comes around and compliments him on his parenting, the acceptance he never received as a child.

Real life is not a movie. My mom isn't coming around to give me the acceptance I wanted from her. But because of God, I'm not Despicable me. I'm God's pick-able me. Chosen, loved, accepted. And so are you. Not despicable. Pick-able!

"God picked you out as his from the very start."
2 Thessalonians 2:13, The Message

Chatty Kelly

6 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

I love this. We need to see this movie; I've heard it's really cute. And I can so relate to the application. My mom wasn't as difficult as yours, but the unconditional acceptance was something my legalistic parents couldn't quite do.

KrippledWarrior said...

Very astute observation. My youth was best summed up by these words: "Bad attention is better than no attention."

Cindy Currier said...

Great post, Kelly.

Beth in NC said...

Wow, I haven't seen that movie yet, but like you -- I have a critical Mom.

I'm glad we serve a loving God.

Sue J. said...

Such a fluffy post--NOT! Nice tie-in....

Tracy Thomas said...

I love this post for many reasons! You are most definitely pick-able! We loved the movie. Aly called is "Spickle Me"!