Monday, June 7, 2010

Money, Money, Money, Money

"Money money money money, money. Some people got to have it…."
For the Love of Money, The O’Jays, 1974


Few people like the subject of tithing. As a matter of fact, many a church has offended a member by talking about it. Just as the O’Jays said “Some people got to have it,” some churches do too, to pay the light bill, phone bill, and staff.

I remember exactly how and when I started tithing. A friend had shared with me Malachi 3:10, “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.”

Shortly thereafter, annual raises came out and I received a 5% pay increase. I decided to tithe (well…“five”) that 5% to God. No it wasn’t the biblical tithe, or 10%, but it was a start, a baby step of faith.

I told God that I was gladly giving him the money, even though I knew he couldn’t “pour out so much blessing” on me. The company only received annual raises. I was not expected a rebate on my utilities. I had no aspirations to apply for another job.

Several months later the chairman of the company asked me to come work for him. I never sent out an application, he came to me. With that promotion I received a 15% pay increase. I had been sure that God couldn’t pour out the blessing on me. I had put God in a box. You can believe that I turned my “five” into a tithe and began giving 10%.

Why don’t you test God in this today? (He asks us to.) If 10% seems impossible, start with 5%. And let God throw open the floodgates of heaven for you, and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

Musical Musings
1. Do you tithe? Why or why not?
2. Do you believe God could bless you if you did tithe?
3. Why not start tithing today. If 10% seems to overwhelming, start with 5% and ask God to bless your obedience.

Karaoke:
Dear Lord, thank you for everything you have blessed with me in my life. Lord, I pray for the courage to trust you with my finances. Help me give to you and grow my faith as I watch the blessings that occur from my obedience. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Rock on: Read about tithing in Malachi 3:6-17

Chatty Kelly

10 comments:

Ronel Sidney said...

We are working on this one in our house. I do give but it isn't 10% all the time especially when we are struggling but my husband did challenge me to start giving the 10% no matter what happens bc God will bless our giving especially because we do have the "heart" to give which is more important than the "means" to give.

KrippledWarrior said...

And when you give. don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

This is especially important in today's economic turmoils that we continue to give not knowing what tomorrow will bring. We need to let God provide.

I am wise to remember the widow who gave all she had and she was blessed because of it.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

EnnisP said...

Thanks Kelly for a good post and a great testimony. I have written several posts on tithing and am working on one to share the testimony and experience of people like you. I have saved the URL to this post and will use mine.

Thanks for sharing.

gianna said...

I'm so confused about the 10% thing. I've heard some people say that was just an OT thing and now we should tithe what we are called to give. But on the other hand, 10% is easy enough to calculate. But I totally believe in the just start. DO whatever you need to do to get into the habit. I love to write the check because I feel like I'm worshiping. Sometimes it is hard to hand over the money, but the worship is AWESOME!

Lea said...

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape about tithing? God let's us keep NINETY PERCENT! All's He wants us to give is TEN! WHAT A GOOD GOD!

We can never outgive God.
Great post Kelly!!!

KelliGirl said...

This is indeed a sensitive subject...for us, but not for GOd. I think that our money (i.e. our control over our comfort, security and future) is the last area we give over to God. Tithing isn't a financial transaction, it's a spiritual one.
I don't have any specific stories as a result of our giving, but I do have a general sense of peace about the future and God's provision.

Good topic.

Blessings to you,
Kelli

Beverlydru said...

Hi Kelly, I've missed blog reading and am doing some catch-up. Interesting that this is the subject today- I am preparing for a teaching for Christian Businesspeople and have been really studying God's financial principals (for over a year). There's so much power in the truth. I believe he calls us to give as a guard for our hearts. When we learn how to listen for his voice and obey, giving becomes a joy. He doesn't need our money, but he wants our hearts. It's such a delight to give!!

sanjeet said...

I am wise to remember the widow who gave all she had and she was blessed because of it.

Adsense Alternative

Gary Arnold said...

The Lord's Tithe ended at the cross along with the Levitcal priesthood. This we are told in Hebrews 7:5,12,18.

Malachi 3:7 - God is talking about His ordinances on tithes and offerings. Those ordinances are in Numbers 18. NO ONE is following those ordinances by taking His tithe to the church. In fact, God gave a command to take His tithe to the Levites, FOR EVER. In Hebrews 7:18 we learn that Numbers 18 was disannulled - thus, NO MORE tithing.

The New Testament teaches generous, sacrificial giving, from the heart, ACCORDING TO OUR MEANS. For some, $1 might be a sacrifice while for others, even 50% of their income might not be enough to bring on a sacrifice.

Tithing today is denying what Jesus did on the cross for us.

GIVING a tenth of your income to the church is fine if that is what God had led you to give, but that is NOT paying the Lord's Tithe.

The Biblical tithe went to the Levites WHO WERE THE SINGERS, MUSICIANS, USHERS, JANITORS, etc. - the servants to the priests. Then they gave a tenth of the tithe to the priests, who did NOT tithe at all. NOT THE WAY THEY TEACH IT IN CHURCH, IS IT??

FALSE-FALSE-FALSE TEACHING! Don't fall for this false teaching. To believe you are obligated to tithe is legalistic, and as such, you just might fall from grace.