Monday, May 31, 2010

God bless the USA

I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the ones who died, who gave their life for me.
God Bless the USA, Lee Greenwood, 1984

We're leaving 70s music for today, because it's Memorial Day, and I think Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA is the perfect song for a Memorial Day Musical Monday. While many folks will have cookouts, hit the pool, or visit shopping sales today, the real reason for Memorial Day is to remember and commemorate the US men and women who died in military service.

My husband is a Vietnam Veteran, and knows first hand the sacrifices that are made to serve our country by the military. His Military Academy room-mate died in Vietnam. He lost other friends as well.

The Bible says, " Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13) Unfortunately, it's all too easy to forget about the sacrifices of others.

Jesus is another who made a sacrifice and gave his life for us. Just as the soldiers' sacrifices give us freedoms in the US, Jesus' sacrifice frees us from sin, death and the devil. His sacrifice on the cross, dying for our sins allows us to have eternal life.

I hope today you will think about the ones who died for your freedom. But I hope everyday, you will think about THE ONE who died for YOU.

Musical Musings:
1. Think about a way you can remember, reflect upon and honor our fallen military personnel today.
2. Say a prayer for military families today, including spouses and children of military.
3. Thank Jesus for the sacrifice He made for you.

Karaoke:
Dear God, thank you for sending your son to die for me. There is no greater love then that. Help me to show love to others, like you have shown for me. Thank you, Lord, for the freedoms you allow us. May I remember daily what you have done for me. In Jesus name, Amen.

Rock On:
Go to http://www.biblegateway.com/ and search the words free or freedom in the Bible. See all the ways that Christ has made you free. Praise God for them.

God Bless the USA, Lee Greenwood video:


Chatty Kelly

3 comments:

Arnold said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Alena

http://dataentryjob-s.com

My ADHD Me said...

This made me think. As you know, our military means a lot to me. Do I sometimes give them more reverence than I do God? That is something I'll need to remember.

Anonymous said...

There is a big difference between "Honor" and "Reverence".