Monday, August 3, 2009

Who's Your Daddy?

I have breakfast with my dad almost every Saturday morning. His wife, and my family all come. We've been doing it for 10 years now, and it's a tradition we enjoy.

Last Saturday his wife pointed to my shirt and nudged my dad with a proud smile. My dad looked at my shirt and asked, "What's your shirt say?" "Princess," I responded reading the main text. My dad then read the subtext out loud: "My Father is the King of Kings." As he read it, I got a guilty feeling like I'd been caught cheating on my dad with another father. "Jesus, right?" he asked. "Yes." "I got it," he said, "my wife didn't, but I got it."

My dad can be critical. He doesn't hesitate to tell you if he thinks you've gained weight, or your kids look heavy. He doesn't mind telling you where he believes you are parenting poorly, or that you'd be better off working a job with a salary then staying home and writing for free. I know he's proud of me, but he's more likely to tell someone else that than me.

Then there's my Heavenly Father. When He looks at me, He sees only my heart. And yes, sometimes He does rebuke me, but only in pure love. And this free writing I do, well I know He doesn't just like it, He is glorified by it. But my relationship with THIS Father does something else that's pretty amazing.

Because I am filled with, and my expectations met by my Heavenly Father, I am free to have a great relationship with my earthly dad. Because I can take him like he is, and love him for it. I don't expect him to be the greatest dad in the world, because I already have that. He can just be the dad he is.

I'm blessed because of my two dads.

Luke 14:26 -- You cannot be my disciple, unless you love me more than you love your father and mother, your wife and children, and your brothers and sisters. You cannot come with me unless you love me more than you love your own life. (CEV)

Matthew 7:11 -- If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Revelation 19:16 -- On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.


Chatty Kelly

Read my Examiner Article on The Grocery Game here.

26 comments:

Bonita said...

I think I'll print this one out and read it before I see my dad next time. Do we have the same father?

Good words to remember. I love my father and my relationship with my heavenly father gives me the grace to be a better daughter here on earth.

B His Girl said...

The Lord is glorified by your words Kelly. I hear lots of wisdom in how you see things. B

Andrea said...

We have so very much in common. Thank you for posting this today. It touched my heart! Bless you for being you!

Hope you have a great time at the Philly Conference. Wish I were going!

I, too am enjoying getting to know you. Blessings and prayers, andrea

Truth4thejourney said...

This is a great blog post, Kelly! I loved the message it just resonated to my soul.

You're right, because of our heavenly father, we can accept our earthly parents for who they are.

Love,
Sonya Lee

Jess said...

Oh, YES. Kelly, thank you for this today.

Love,
Jess

Melanie said...

I love your final perspective.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

Enjoy those moments with your dad. Your earthly dad.

The King of Kings! Yes, that is my heavenly Father!

T. Anne said...

How sweet to have such a great tradition! My mother is the critical one and i have to pray my way through that relationship. I could be a perfect supermodel (I wish) and she would find some flaw to tick away at. Honestly. If it wasn't for Christ we would have a much different relationship. I only wish she knew how much Jesus saved our family!

Greg C said...

You are awesome kelly but I know someone who is more awesome. Care to guess who that is? I am sure you know who that is.

My father was never a man of many words. I don't remember every hearing him say I love you. I remember my mother saying but I don't know if she meant it. God loves me though and that makes me happy.

Laurie said...

Hey sis,
Thanks for the link on TT to my blog (when you mentioned your travel companions:) I enjoyed your post. What a neat tradition you have w/your dad. I am thankful for my two dad's,too and have grown to appreciate my dad even more as I get to know my Heavenly Father more! See you Wed.

Beverlydru said...

Ah- God has given you great wisdom in your ability to love your dad just like he is... and then isn't it cool how he puts HIS love in our hearts to walk it out?! Amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Heart2Heart said...

Even though I don't have a relationship with my earthly father, God has given me the glorious opportunity to share a heavenly one with Him!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

2Thinks said...

You have a way with sharing the Truth that works a wonder in the human heart and points a person in the direction of True North.

Blessed to be a blessing- that's what you are. Thanks.
Heidi

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

Loved your post today and God loves us so unconditionally and it's a great feeling to know I am a child of His!
Collette xxx

Runner Mom said...

This was wonderful, Kelly! Great wisdom that you shared with us!! Thanks so much!!

Hugs!
Susan

**Wish I was close enough to have Saturday breakfast with my Daddy each weekend! 2 hours is sorta a long drive!!

KelliGirl said...

Our earthly fathers, no matter how wonderful, horrible or in between are no match for our perfect, loving and merciful heavenly Father. For that, I am truly thankful.

Hey...I'm looking forward to meeting you this week in Phila! It's a small enough conference so I know I'll see you. Are you free for lunch on Thursday?

Rebecca Ingram Powell said...

Kelly,

I met several girls and women over the weekend who had dad issues. My prayer is that they will reach this wonderful place where you are--extending grace because you have met Grace.

love you girl!

Beth in NC said...

What a wonderful tradition to have Kelly!

My daughter has a T-shirt with that same sentence on it. :o)

Blasé said...

The greatest thing about one's relationship with our Creator/Father is that we have a relationship with him no matter what or where we are in life. Unfortunately, many professing christians are insecure in that relationship, hence, being religious. Most are in need of being delivered from the bondage of Religion.

There will be many religious professing christians that will hear the words- "Depart from me,I never knew you".

Many get their feeling of security by being involved with religious activities. Our Father knows who are his, and one's religious fervor cannot fool him.

Great post!

Kay Martin said...

Daddy...umm when I saw your title I smiled. Now, I can. But for 20 something years I avoided anything with Daddy in it. I have no remembrance of my alcoholic dad; but now I know him and I love and honor him. My Heavenly FAther had to heal my scarred and broken heart to wholeness before I could even speak the word DADDY. Forgiveness, love and honor are mine for my Daddy because My Father has made me whole. The commandment: Honor your mother and father are no longer stumbling blocks for me. Oh, How I love Jesus!!!

Julie Gillies said...

What an excellent post, Kelly, and one I can truly relate to. You've got a balanced, healthy relationship with your dad thanks to the Lord, and that, my friend, is a precious, precious gift!

Carol said...

Great thoughts! Loved this. Thanks for sharing!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

This post ranks among my favorites of yours.

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

I love this! Yes, our Abba Father is SOOOoooooooooo Good!

p.s. Tell Mary I commented in a little poem and I hope she's feeling better!

Edie said...

This is a great post Kelly. I was very close to my dad. Yesterday was the 24th anniversary of his death. There are a number of things that I wish he would have done differently that greatly impacted my life but he loved me and that was what mattered.

Jesus is my all in all. :)

My ADHD Me said...

What a great way to see him. you see, seems like our earthly fathers are very much alike. Almost like they are the same man.