Monday, December 22, 2008

The Gift or the Giver

My daughters attend the same school. Last week when picking up my four yr old ("Cici") from preschool, we decided to stop by and say "hi" to her older sister "Gigi", who was at lunch. Gigi didn't want her apple, so she asked if she could give it to sister. I agreed, and CiCi and I said our goodbyes to Gigi and headed out to the car.

In the parking lot, Cici was running around with a friend when she accidentally dropped her apple. Well, you would have thought the apple was golden. She burst out crying and I could not console her. The other mom looked surprised and said "That must have been a really good apple." I couldn't figure out why Cici was so upset.

After we got home, I offered her another apple. She didn't want the apple. Her sister had given her the first apple and it was special to her, she explained.

Later in the week, I picked up Cici again. This time she had a sucker from her teacher. As she frolicked with her friend, again the treat was dropped. She looked a little forlorn, but she didn't cry...over candy!?! But it wasn't special to her.

The value, you see, wasn't in the apple, but in the fact that it was from her sister.

This Christmas, I pray that you and I can be like my 4 yr old; and realize the value doesn't come from the gift, but the giver.

Proverbs 18:16 -- A gift opens the way for the giver and ushers him into the presence of the great.

2 Corinthians 9:7 -- Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.


James 1:17 -- Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.


Chatty Kelly

To see Gigi & Cici preparing for Christmas, visit my other blog at here.

22 comments:

Kay Martin said...

Thanks for this beautiful story of the love between sisters. Being an only child I always love the "good" sibling stories.

I can't do all the Christmas special gifts I have always done for my children. They understand my budget is much lower than when their dad was alive, but I needed this apple story. Our love for one another determines the value of the gifts.

God bless you all with a wonderful Christmas week.

Sue J. said...

My CJ loves to make gifts for people....people I wouldn't expect her to give gifts to, even! I admire her generous spirit, but she does get a bit attached to her gifts. She made them, and it's like part of her gets included in that. We're having trouble letting go of the idea that even if you've made the gift that it's more important that you showed the generous thought to give in the first place.

She's had gifts "rejected" (go unused) and she doesn't understand that. Hasn't stopped her giving, though.

CiCi seems more and more like Gigi every day. She's becoming the frolicker with a heart of gold!

Mary Moss said...

Wow! Jesus did say we were to become like little children.

Wonderful story. Christmas blessings.

Beverlydru said...

Sweet, sweet story. A golden apple indeed. Merry Christmas!

Greg C said...

I know just how she felt after she dropped that apple. It's kind of like those cards that the children made for us when they were young. They are only paper and crayons to some people but they are much more to a parent.

Joy in The Truth (Sharon Sloan) said...

I can feel the love! That is so sweet! Even though our two argue at times, they love each other so deeply and are devoted to each other.

May our cherubs and yours be fully devoted to the greatest Giver always!

Edie said...

Aw, what a beautiful story. Watered up my eyes. :) What sweet love they show for each other too. I'm sure it like that all the time behind the scenes too huh? lol. Makes moments like that all the more *golden* to the parents.

Enjoy your celebration of the Birth!

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

Hmmm...
I bet she also learned by example... the LOVE she "sees" between her Mom and sister too! ;)

They tend to notice more than we think.. I think. Ya think?

Holykisses,
L

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

her Mom and her Mom's sister- ya caught that part right? My fingers are not articulating themselves this morning.

Melanie said...

What a great story, Kelly!
When I saw your post title, I almost fell out of my chair. I just posted this morning and started to entitle it "The Gift and the Giver." At the last minute I changed it.
How funny!

Bonita said...

Another great analogy, Kelly.

On Purpose said...

Thank you CiCi for teaching us all to treasure what comes from the heart!

Mrs. Sidney said...

What a great post and a great lesson in appreciation... I pray you have an amazing CHRISTmas!!

Tammy said...

Thanks for that great reminder!

I sometimes get so overshadowed in how the world does Chirstmas that my frustation blinds me.

Have a blessed Christmas,
Tammy

Irritable Mother said...

This is wonderful! Don't you love how we can learn so much from our children if we'll just pay attention???

Melissa the Careful Wisher said...

Great post, as usual! God Bless and Merry Christmas!

Becoming Me said...

As cliche as it will sound that story really did bring a smile to my lips and tears to my eyes. What a beautiful analogy and what sweet girls you have. Merry Christmas

The Patterson 5 said...

What a special story. True the gift is special not because of the gift but because of the giver. What a wise child you have! What a blessing to know her!

KelliGirl said...

Merry Christmas, Kelly,
Great message! Isn't is wonderful how seemingly ordinary encounters in our day-to-day can provide such rich insight into the ultimate giver of gifts? Precious story.

Christmas Blessings!

Shanita Waters said...

That's a great story with an even greater lesson. It's amazing how much God can teach us through our children if we open our hearts and minds. Have a blessed holiday!

Shanita

HisPrincess said...

I love to give gifts, it's so much more fun than receiving them.

Although, there is an art to receiving as well, there can't be givers without receivers!

My ADHD Me said...

Of course it is always nice when the gift works before you get it. ... I WORKING ON IT!! haha (sorry)