Saturday, October 4, 2008

What a Friend We Have...

I'm doing a new bible study. I can't tell you the title or author, because the author has a little thing on her PC that alerts her when people write about her and she comes over and reads it and possibly even responds to it. It's Saturday night, and I'm just not up for that kind of pressure, but if you want to know the details, Sue J blogged about it here. So you can click over to read Sue's thoughts on the book.

This week the author is challenging us to think of God as a friend. I have to admit, I think of God as ruler, authority, king and judge, but friend? Not so much. Hey, it's just me & God hanging out. We're going to Starbucks and chat.

But really, what are the characteristics of a friend? Someone you want to hang out with? Isn't that exactly what God desires from us, a relationship, that we should want to be with him, hang out with him, spend time with him? How about someone you can talk to about your troubles? Psalm 147 tells us God heals the brokenhearted. Another thing a friend will do, a really good friend, will tell you when you're wrong. God tells us this because he loves us and wants us to do right. He doesn't shame us, or hold grudges. He forgives us.

John 15:13 tells us "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." I don't know how many of my friends who lay down their life for me, but my friend Jesus would and did so that I may spend eternity with him. That isn't just a friend. That is a best friend.

And so today, for Amy's Then Sings My Soul Saturday, the song I am thinking of is Redeemer, Savior, Friend. The chorus says "Redeemer, redeem my heart again. Savior, come and shelter me from sin. You're familiar with my weakness. Devoted to the end. Redeemer, Savior, Friend."

So today, I'm thankful for my friend, Jesus.

John 15:14, 15 -- (Jesus said) You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.




12 comments:

Edie said...

I am so glad that I have a friend in Jesus. I can't wait to see His face.

Awesome video.

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing that.

He And Me + 3 said...

I was just talking to a friend tonight about some of those exact things. I am so thankful to have Jesus as my best friend. Thanks for sharing your words and that video.

My ADHD Me said...

Last time I read about friends, It said "A friend is someone who will bail you out of jail the morning after you may have indulged just a wee bit too much. A GREAT friend is sitting their in the cell with you, reminding you of the fun the two of you had."

OK, Ok...Just kidding. it's just something I read. I guess I'm reading the wrong things. I'll take Sue J's advise and BRB.

My ADHD Me said...

I should add that A REALLY Good friend is one that keeps you from going to jail in the first place.

Good insight, right?

OK, CK just wrote that on my post.

P.S. CK, you're up late.

Carol said...

Great song!

My ADHD Me said...

Ok, Your followers thing is working but I don't know how to figure out how to follow you...perhaps you could...um...er...you know.

On the other hand, creating my own was easy. Just a button that said press here.

I'm going to need to get you to teach me how to do this one so you don't have to keep doing it.

So a blog roll is who I follow and this other one is for those who follow me, right?

WOnder if they have Blogging for Dummies available. I bet they do.

I am now responsible for 50% of your comments.

Cathy said...

That's a pretty song. Yes, Jesus is our friend, because He is always with us, and we can talk to Him anytime. :o)

Beverlydru said...

I also love the song "I am a Friend of God" (Chris Tomlin sings it) Who am I that you are mindful of me??
I find this especially comforting when others misunderstand me. I know Jesus understands.

sailorcross said...

Hi Kelly!!

I'm re-reading "Having a Mary Spirit in a Martha World".

One of the things that really stuck in my mind is that Jesus wants a relationship with us even more than we want a relationship with Him.

He is willing to wait until we come to Him--so patient and loving--and when we do, He welcomes us with open arms--so happy and joyful that we "choose" to spend time with Him.

Now, that is a GOOD friend!!

I'm overwhelmed with joy that Jesus is my friend because where might I be without Him in my life!

Beth

Jessica said...

I like to think of God as my friend to, but I think his friendship is a little different than human friendships. LOL
Remember he told the disciples, You're my friends if you obey me?
Hehehe
Sounds like a great bible study, though.

HisPrincess said...

I've never really thought of the Lord as my "friend" either. More a father figure, who I try really hard (and fail consistently) to not dissapoint.