Monday, August 20, 2012

Are You a Singing Hypocrite?


Has this every happened to you? You're at church, singing a praise song, and suddenly as you really pay attention to the words, you realize they don't reflect your personal life at all. You realize that you have become a singing hypocrite.

This happened to me a few Sundays ago. We were singing "As the Deer," and as we sang I realized that what I was saying didn't match my life.

"You alone are my strength, my shield." God ALONE, my strength? I am most likely to pull myself up by my won boot straps, than to lean heavily on God to be my strength.  My shield? Do I allow God to protect me? Or do a live a calculated and careful life, trying hard to keep out of harms way, protecting myself. I live a safe life. Do I trust God...alone...to be my strength and shield?

"To You alone may my spirit yield." Yielding to God alone? I think I'm more like the Apostle Paul who said, "I do not understand the things I do. I do not do what I want to do, and I do the things I hate."  It seems I yield to the things I shouldn't, yet when God tells me to do something - my stop sign comes out. I lack the trust to truly yield to God.

"You alone are my heart's desire." God alone as my heart's desire? Then why I am running to the coffee and dark chocolate all the time? If you were to ask me my heart's desire I might say being a mom, writing a book or seeing my future grandchildren grow up as heart's desires. God, ALONE, as my heart's desire? I've got some work to do.

So that was when I realized I was a singing hypocrite. Or am I? Maybe that was a divine moment with the Holy Spirit to change me. Maybe that was the moment where I stopped being a hypocrite, and started focusing on God, alone. Maybe that was the moment where I stopped singing a song, and started singing a prayer. How about you? Are you ready to stop singing about it, and start living it?

Kelly Combs is a Christian wife, mom, writer and speaker. You can learn about Kelly by visiting her website at www.kellycombs.com

Chatty Kelly

3 comments:

Pamela Kuhn said...

I love this song. I find my heart panting and longing after God. Your writing today makes me think and I know I'll be more careful to make sure the words I sing line up with the truth of my heart.

Kelly Combs said...

I love this song too Pamela. And now it is a prayer that I will look to God alone.

jennywren said...

I miss singing the songs of my heart, Our church is in to only singing the new hit songs that are complicated to sing but have very little meaning in the lyrics.