Friday, June 22, 2012

Stalking Jesus


Who's your favorite celebrity? Whether you follow someone on Twitter, are a rabid fan of an author, or watch every episode of a reality show, chances are you know a lot about someone you've never met. I'm a big fan of a leadership blogger (who I actually got to meet in person.) Because I have read this person's blog every day for years, I know much about their life. I know their spouses name, how many children they have, what they like to do for entertainment, etc. I know a lot about them, but I don't really know them.

Celebrities have this happen to them all the time. In fact, some fans even start to stalk their favorite celebrities. They know so much about the person they believe they have a relationship with them. But they are just stalkers.

Are you stalking Jesus? I was listening to an interview by Bob Goff the other day, and he said he used to stalk Jesus. That idea had such a profound impact of me. I don't want to just know a lot of things about Jesus. I want to KNOW Jesus. As Bob pointed out, this can be hard with an invisible man. But it can be done.

It is important to know the Word of God. But we must also spend time developing a relationship with God. Prayer and meditation are key. Spending time with God, not just learning about God. Listening for the Holy Spirit with his still small voice.

Know Jesus. Don't be a Jesus stalker.

“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep
and my sheep know me." -Jesus
John 10:14

Kelly Combs is a Christian wife, mom, writer and speaker. You can learn about Kelly by visiting her website at www.kellycombs.com

Chatty Kelly

4 comments:

Karen said...

Great post, Kelly! Love the pithiness of it, the profound idea and your quick willingness to give credit to the original person who sent you down that path of thinking. Nice work.

Dayna Renee Hackett Bickham said...

This quote is the one that hit me the hardest too. I am so glad I was not the only one. I think the overall thing that I kept thinking is Matt 7:22-24 which I will paraphrase here: "But God, I stalked your every move and knew all about you. I even copied some of the stuff you did, Why can't I get into heaven? to which Jesus replies "Cause I don't actually KNOW you!" HIT. ME. HARD. Thanks for sharing this!

Kelly Combs said...

Dayna - your paraphrase of the Bible verse is spot on! WOW. I also loved how Bob admitted that is can be hard to a have a relationship with an "invisible man." He was a great speaker. I want his book.

J.D. Meier said...

I learned a lot about Bruce Lee early on.

Most people think of him as a martial artist. He was actually a great philosopher and a great example of personal development in practice. He was a lifelong learner and he continuously improved his mind, body, and emotions.

I find that one of the best ways to learn a lot about our heroes is to collect and organize their quotes. Our language is revealing. I've collected quotes as a way to find and share the wisdom of the ages and modern sages.