Wednesday, February 8, 2012

When Life Gives You Avocados...


“Whatcha doing?” my sister asked, her standard phone greeting.
“Just making some guacamole.” I answered.
“What? Why?” Her surprise was natural. 

Growing up with a mentally ill mother, dinner was often McDonalds...when we were lucky.  Other times it was a cold hotdog.  I remember the night my mom made macaroni and cheese.  It was the standard blue box variety, but she had forgotten to cook the noodles.  As she stirred the sauce into the crunchy uncooked noodles, she realized her mistake and said, “I messed up the dinner, you’ll have to make yourself something to eat.” She then went to bed.  I was left staring into a nearly empty refrigerator, and eating yet another cold hotdog for dinner. 

Consequently, I've never been good at "domestic" stuff like cooking, cleaning, decorating, and crafting. Without training, I was challenged in these areas. But then something changed.

I joined a cooking co-op. If I would cook dinner just 1 night a week, for myself & three other families, then 3 nights a week I would have dinner delivered to me by another family. To someone who hated (aka can't!) cook this was a dream come true. What happened next was truly a surprise.

I had to meal plan. Once the calendar was set, grocery shopping was easier. And once I started putting some real effort into my cooking, the compliments (from my own family AND the other three families) started coming in! Soon I was buying fun kitchen gadgets (did I say fun and kitchen in the same sentence?)

Now, I can honestly say now I am a good cook. I can meal plan. I just had to learn how. Titus 2:3-5 says we older women are to teach the younger women to be "busy at home." That means cooking, cleaning, meal planning, decorating. I was never taught. But rather than carry on this omission, I am now teaching my children the joys of things like cooking.

When I received a co-op meal that included salad items including onions, tomatoes, cilantro and an avocado, I decided to use the leftovers to make some home-made guacamole.  That’s when my sister called.

“We may not have had the best childhood,” I told her, “But I don’t have to hold onto those years as an excuse not to learn basic domestic skills.  I am no longer stunted by those years.”

“I’m really proud of you,” she said.  I smiled at her encouragement, then held back my laughter as I told her, “When life gives you avocados, make guacamole!”


What challenges are you working to overcome in your life?


Chatty Kelly

30 comments:

Judith roberts said...

What a really good story, Kelly, and such good inspiration. =)

Kelly Combs said...

Thank you Judith. Life is what we make it.

Loree Huebner said...

Awesome post. Love your story - you're such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing it.

Carmen said...

Lol...I have yet to gain a true appreciation for the avocado although I do love guacamole! I understand it's really good for you. I loved this post, and agree that we don't have to hold onto those years of the past and allow them to dictate who we are, what we can and can't do, and where we are going. Something I struggle with but am learning to overcome as well. Enjoyed this post!

Sonyaleet said...

I love this post! You are such an encouragement and an overcomer!

Kelly Combs said...

Thank you! It's all God.

Sharon Sloan said...

Great title! Great testimony! Great post!

Hugs,
Sharon

Kelly Combs said...

Thank you Sharon!

Melanie Dorsey said...

I enjoyed this, Kelly.
My challenge: To figure out how to take care of my parents from a 3 states away.
There was a time when I realized, "I have become my mother." Recently I've come to accept, "I have become my mother's mother." (And I don't mean grandmother.)

Jeanettelevellie said...

Oh, I love this attitude, Kelly! It is a perfect example of the power of a heart full of God.

I'd never heard of a cooking co-op; it sounds lovely!

Kelly Combs said...

It is wonderful. After 4 years, my co-op recently ended, but was it a wonderful run! And now I am a confident enough cook, that I can carry on. Thank you for your encouragement, Jeanette.

Kelly Combs said...

I understand the parenting your parent problem. I have parented my mom since I was 7. But now that my dad is getting old I am having to help him out some. I am blessed that he is in good health and nearby. I will be praying for you and your mom.

Kelly Combs said...

Thank you Carmen! I love the line from the kid's movie Kung Fu Panda 2. It says, "You're story may not have such a happy beginning, but that doesn't make you who you are. It is the rest of your story, who you choose to be." That is how I want to live my life, with the help of Jesus.

Kelly Combs said...

Thank you. It is all God!

Kari Scare said...

This post struck a chord with me, mainly because of helping my adopted son overcome a rough past. I just wrote about overcoming & learning from your past in my most-recent post. Just watched Kumg Fu Panda 2 this past weekend also. I feel like the Holy Spirit is really working on me in this area this week. Love it when so much confirmation comes my way. Just need ti make sure I am hearing all He has for me.

Kelly Combs said...

Kari, I'd love to read your blog post. Could you give me your blog address? I love when God's voice is coming in loud and clear too. Amen, sister. And bless your son. May he find peace in the love of his new family and his loving God.

Kari Scare said...

Sorry, I meant to include it before. I'm struggling technically today. It is http:www.struggle to victory.com.

Alyssa Santos said...

Praise God that you don't have to live in the confines of the less than perfect past -- that you are making guacamole and everything else in freedom! What a great story with a universal message of hope and optimism. God makes all things new and lets us join in the process! My challenge is getting well again after a terrible accident. I'm learning to walk correctly again and trying to keep up with my family while managing pain -- it's a challenge, but God is faithful and I'm getting better every day :)

Vickie said...

This story is so inspirational. It's very liberating when you don't allow the past the dictate your future. With God's help I am trying to work on a very bad habit of procrastinating. Searching my heart I see that it's causing me to miss out on opportunities and open doors from the Lord. Thank you for sharing today.

blessings
Vickie

Lisa Shaw said...

Powerful and transparent sharing is always a blessing--so thank you for sharing Kelly! Blessings to you and your family!

Leslie Johnson said...

Hi Kelly, I haven't been here in a while since I haven't blogged in over a year! Loved this post (and I love avocados!). My mom did cook (and sew and crochet), but I could never be bothered to learn when I was growing up. I really regret that now (for my family's sake). I don't enjoy being in the kitchen either and would love a co-op! I do cook, but thankfully my husband likes to cook and is good at it! My goal this year is to learn how to can what we grow in our garden...something else my mom did. It's never too late to learn!

Kelly Combs said...

Good luck on the gardening! You are blessed to have a mom did those things, and a husband who enjoys cooking! Good for you. Keep learning and growing.

Kelly Combs said...

Thank you Lisa. Blessings to you & yours as well. Thanks for coming by.

Kelly Combs said...

Thank you Vickie. I appreciate you sharing your heart today. Keep stepping ahead in God's timing. Be blessed.

Kelly Combs said...

Alyssa, I am so sorry to learn of your accident, but thrilled to hear of God's faithfulness and that you are getting better every day. Keep up the good work, and God bless you.

Lisa notes... said...

This is a beautiful story of vulnerability and responsibility and grace. Thanks for sharing it--even though I'm not a fan of guacamole. {smile}

Jen Ferguson said...

I love this story! And can i just say, I can meal plan and cook, but I just hate it! I don't know why, it's just not my favorite. But my favorite part of this post was that even though you had a mentally ill mother, you still made it. Beyond made it! And you have broken something generational and turned it into an opportunity to teach your children. so glad you linked up at SDG this week. I hope you'll be back regularly!

Michael Mulligan said...

Way to go, Kelly. Your story touches my heart. Thanks so much for giving me permission to add your guacamole to the collection of lemonade stories.

Kelly Combs said...

Great! Let me know when you post it, so I can tweet and FB the details to my friends.

Michael Mulligan said...

Your guacamole story will appear at 8:08AM Pacific time, this morning, about an hour from now and you are scheduled to be the guest host at Caveman Reflections Cyber-bistro on your birthday, Friday, March 9. We can work on getting the story done ahead of time so you can enjoy your family on your birthday while the world enjoys your story.

Keep up the good work with your writing. And thanks again for sharing your story. When the book is released, you will appear in the credit section along with contact info for readers to connect with you. And you will receive a free copy as a thank you for sharing your story.