Monday, January 9, 2012

The Power of Your Influence


Never underestimate your influence.

 I recently ran into a gentlemen who was running for office in my locale.  I had met him previously at a social event. He said, "Do you remember me?" And I said of course I remembered meeting him at the event.  "No," he responded, "Do you remember meeting me at your mom's?" Shocked I said I hadn't. As I searched my memory over when I  could have possibly met him at my mom's, he made a remark I missed about rudeness. "My mom was rude to you?" I asked.  Laughing, he answered, "No, you were! But then I was just a friend of your little sister." I still didn't remember, the event happened 20 years earlier. But 20 years later he still remembered I had been rude.

Never underestimate your influence.

Recently, I got an email from a former co-worker. I haven't worked outside the home in 12 years, so literally I have not seen this person in 12 years. We did exchange a few Christmas cards over the years, and I sent a congratulations card once over a promotion.

The email asked me to pray for my co-worker's family as they went through a medical crisis. I was honored to do so.This person hadn't seen me in 12 years, but remembered that I "believed in the power of prayer" 12 years later.

What you do, how you act, what you say, leaves an impact on people, good or bad.

What influence are you, and your faith, leaving?

Chatty Kelly

6 comments:

Loree Huebner said...

This is an excellent post, Kelly.

Most times we never see the seeds we sow.

Sonya Lee said...

Sobering reminder of how we are always leaving a mark on those around us!

"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:6 (NIV)

Jennifer Dougan said...

Hi Kelly,

How sad that we are remembered for our bad choices as well as our good, huh? Well, may that incident be erased from his mind now due to a new you. :) I sometimes humbly ask God to give my kids short memories to some things. I'm thankful for chances to apologize to them though.

My mailman started up a conversation about our family recently. It amazed me how much he knew about us and guessed about us just by delivering our mail. Wild!

Blessings today,
Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com

Anonymous said...

Kelly - wow. great post! It is both encouraging of the good I can do and convicting of the harm I may have done.

May the Lord grant us wisdom and sensitivity to His Spirit that we may be of an encouragement to others. ~ Roxanna

Joe Abraham said...

Though this post is small in size, its impact is huge!

Yes, I agree with you, Kelly. What we do does influence people, positively or negatively.

One way I try to make a positive influence is by appreciating people. This has helped me see how we can function as real "movers & shakers"!

Kelly Combs said...

Test Comment