Thursday, January 19, 2012

Me? A Leader?

Be sure and read the exciting news at the end of this post!
I've never considered myself a leader, which is pretty funny in hindsight. My husband has always said that I end up leading every group I join, which is true. I was president of the church's women's ministry when I was in my mid-20s. I was head of my Junior Woman's Club and Mother's of Preschoolers group, and I led a Bible study for over 10 years. Still I always considered that I was just doing a job that no one else wanted.

The same was true with my writing. Most of those leadership positions came with writing a newsletter article each month. When someone would tell me how much they enjoyed the article, I chalked it up to interesting subject matter. I thought they were just being kind. I never dreamed it could mean that I was a good writer.

So when I saw the Michael Hyatt, Chairman of Thomas Nelson Publishing (which happens to be the world's largest Christian Publisher), accepted guest posts on leadership on his blog, I didn't immediately think I should send something in. A housewife doesn't seem like a leader. But that is exactly why I decided to send something in.  And he accepted it!

On Friday, I will be guest posting at the blog of Michael Hyatt, and his nearly 182,000 subscribers will read my work. Because anyone can be a leader, even a housewife. Even me.

Visit my post on Friday at www.michaelhyatt.com.

Chatty Kelly

8 comments:

Roxanna said...

"For Kelly is God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for her to do." Eph 2:10 personalized :)
Congratulations Kelly. It is wonderful to see and hear of the works that God has planned for you. This is an encouragement to us all, that He has great works planned for us as well. Now, we must let Him use us. Thank for being a wonderful example.

Jamie Schulz said...

I found you through Michael Hyatt's blog. And I just wanted to say, "Way to go!" I regularly read his blog but I was especially intrigued to see a housewife and mom, like me, as the guest blogger. Your post was great, but your courage to step out there was even more inspiring! I am going to take my cue from you and not keep quiet because of cultural stereotypes. Thanks for being an inspiration!

Kelly Combs said...

Wow, thank you for your comment. My goal for this year is to believe in myself more. The world may say I am JUST a mom, but I am uniquely created by God for his glory. I am so excited that Michael Hyatt took a chance on me, and my post and published it.

Keep taking leaps of faith Jamie! And please, visit my blog again.

Kelly Combs said...

Thank you Roxanna. You are a dear friend and a great encourager.

Theseaygroup said...

Oh my goodness, we SO share similar life stories. I am in the process of stepping out of my "comfort zone"- home. family, friends, to the blog world. I keep putting off getting started, with things like- i need to read more, learn more, research more. As I was doing just that, I came across your post on Hyatt's blog. What?! A mom just like me, doing it with style.

You go! I'm proud of you for hitting the send button. Thanks for the inspiration.

Deb Kalmbach said...

Thanks so much for your post on Michael Hyatt's blog! You did a great job--and yes--moms are most definitely leaders. Keep writing, Kelly! May the Lord bless you as you continue learning the craft. ~Deb Kalmbach

Kelly Combs said...

Thank you Deb. I appreciate it! I hope you'll come back and visit my blog again.

Kelly Combs said...

Thank you! I look forward to seeing your blog. Like Nike says, "Just do it!"